Response to Sullivan’s Article

After reading Sullivan’s article, I find myself grappling with two of his ideas.  First, that idea that “the blogger can get away with less…” and second, Sullivan’s experience with blogging on 9/11.  Here are some of my thoughts on both issues:

1.  I am unsure if I agree with Sullivan’s claim that bloggers “get away with less.”  On one hand, blogs are commonly known as being less formal mediums of writing and, to some extent, diary entries.  Taking this into consideration, many people excuse what they believe to be “provocative” ideas, making it so bloggers, in fact, get away with MORE.  Readers allow bloggers to get away with certain comments or ideas that would not be disregarded in the “academic” world.  At the same time, however, when someone blogs their ideas are instantly published on the internet.  Followers and readers of the blog typically have the option of commenting on these blogs, or even blogging about their responses.  Due to the ability to give instant feedback, I see how bloggers would get away with less, because there are constantly people ready to attack or support the blogger.

2.  I found Sullivan’s experience with blogging on 9/11 fascinating.  I myself tend to disregard blogs, thinking of them as public diary entries.  But maybe that is the point of blogs?  Through blogging people are able to track their feelings and responses to different events and unless people carry a diary with them is hard to do this.  Sullivan’s presentation of a blog as a tool to track past emotions at a particular time is fascinating to me, and shows me one of the true values in blogging.

I know that this blog entry is a mix of ideas, but being that blogging is somewhat “diary-like” I hope that this entry gives you some insight into my own feelings on the Sullivan article.

2 thoughts to “Response to Sullivan’s Article”

1. I like your comparison of blogging on 9/11 with carrying a diary around. I would be interested to hear you expand on the value of being able to look back on reactions to past events.

2. Since they are able to get instant feedback, I see how they could get away with “more.” They don’t have to substantiate their claims. I see a lot of bloggers make statements, but they never back them up. It’s purely their choice, and they get away with it because of a blog’s nature to some extent.