The Reason Why “I” Write

The main idea of my essay discussing how each individual has a different reason for writing. It also distinguishes between the need to write and the desire to write. The difference between the two is extremely important to point out because a lot of people write, but most people do not consider themselves writers. I point out why I write is drastically different than why one of my roommates who is a pre-med student writes. She writes to explain facts, yet I write to get a message across, to share my emotions and my thoughts. As I mentioned in my previous post, I wish to emulate authors who have a powerful narrator and create some form of emotional transformation for the reader. I wish for my audience to be able to either sympathize or empathize with my writing, whether they agree with it or not. Being able to understand and appreciate other people’s view points, beliefs and ideas is my primary reason for reading and I think the opposite is my primary reason for writing. I wish to emulate J.D. Salinger in The Catcher and The Rye, Stephen Chbosky in The Perks of Being a Wallflower (who actually tried to emulate Salinger with his first novel), and Jonathan Safran Foer in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. All these novels have strong first person narrators who convey the emotions of the hardships of growing up.