Always Writing.

Source: http://dreamcolleges.com/image/GET-SCHOOLED-girl-writing-thinking-e1294776033118.jpg

It seems like I spend a big part of my life writing–for school, for internships, for work, for pleasure. I am always writing. My roommates study for biology exams and complete homework sets for math as I construct the perfect paper. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by writing. With so many assignments on my mind, it’s hard to figure out where to start. I’m the type of girl who starts about 7 different assignments at once and, although I never procrastinate, has the burden of finishing them all at the same time–and making sure they are perfect. I noticed this becomes harder when all of those assignments are writing assignments.

To give you a better idea of how much writing I do on a weekly basis, here are the writing assignments/tasks on my mind this week: Communications 451 prospectus & term paper, English 229 online profile/portfolio, English 229 blog post, Communications 381 literature review & research paper, Writing 200 blog post, Writing 200 draft #2 of re-purposing an argument essay, Writing 200 portfolio, StyleLine Designer Spotlight article, Her Campus style article. Wow. That’s 11 different writing assignments. Seeing this list makes me realize just how much writing I do. Now don’t get me wrong, I love to write. But when I have this many different things to write, some of the fun turns into pressure and stress as I try to successfully complete each assignment and figure out what paper I should work on first.

It’s tempting to dive right in to the fun fashion articles for StyleLine magazine and Her Campus, but then I remind myself that I am a full-time (18 credit) student at the University of Michigan and my school writing assignments should probably take precedence. Although there are no “internship syllabi”, there are deadlines. And this is why it’s important for me to consider due dates for all of my writing assignments, not just the academic ones.

I decided to make myself a writing schedule to help keep me sane:

1. Eng 229 online profile/portfolio (Due Thurs), started
  2. Writ 200 draft #2 of re-purposing an argument essay (Due Thurs), started*
  3. Eng 229 blog post (Due Thurs)
  4. StyleLine designer spotlight article (Due Fri), did the interview*
  5. Her Campus style article (Due Fri), need to write the final draft when I get the rough draft back
  6. Comm 381 lit review (Due Oct 21)
  7. Comm 451 term paper (Due Dec 5)
  8. Comm 381 research paper (Due Dec 9)

Writ 200 portfolio (Due ??)

Writ 200 blog post (Due today: COMPLETE)

Comm 451 prospectus (Due Mon: COMPLETE)

Maybe now I will be able to write without feeling the need to pull out my hair or scream each time I remind myself how many different writing assignments I have. Some people would probably laugh at the idea of even thinking about a writing assignment that isn’t due until the beginning of December, but for me it’s absolutely necessary to start planning ahead.

Do you feel like you are always writing too?

One thought to “Always Writing.”

1. You are so motivated! I admire that a great deal, as I love to procrastinate, and have been having a hard time with papers this year. Your writing schedule is an excellent idea, as it compartmentalizes what you need to do and keeps you aware of each assignment. I do feel like I am always writing, but I prefer endless reams of essay to studying for bio exams, so I think I am in the right place.