Writing is…really difficult…

So, between this week and last, between papers, short writing assignments, and presentations, I’ve had 10 significant pieces of writing to get done. I’m exhausted.

Portrait of me, after this week. (Source: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WH4MXHC6VD8/RyicXyUfSeI/AAAAAAAAAcg/NDF-yfwADRk/s320/dawnofthedead.jpg)

I don’t mean to complain though – it’s actually been kind of an awesome adventure, as awful and disgusting as that might sound. It’s been good for me.  You can’t really just cram writing in at the last second – there’s no way to skim through writing like you might a reading. These last two weeks, I’ve had to be on top of everything in order to get all of my homework done, and I’m someone who’s never been organized or very “with it.” In the last ten days, I’ve had to manage my time in a way that I’ve never even come close to before, because writing takes a ton of time to do, and even more to do well.

And even though this is easily the most I’ve ever worked in college, that simple fact kind of makes me think I’m doing the right thing with my life after all. It’s not like I’ve never had heavy work loads before, but for the first time in my life, I actually want to finish all of my assignments. Previously, all work that could be saved until the last minute was done as late as possible.  That’s not the case with me anymore; I actually want to start projects and assignments early, mostly because I actually care whether they’re good or not now.

2 thoughts to “Writing is…really difficult…”

1. That’s pretty cool Josh–to feel that way about something, about anything.

In the words of Steve Job in his commencement speech to Stanford’s graduation class of ’05, “You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do…As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.”

2. I totally understand that writing this response as I sit next to you in class is kind of weird, but I just wanted to say thanks for that quote – it’s super relevant and I appreciate it : P