Storyboard Success

I originally had the grand idea of making my storyboard like a pitch for a new magazine photoshoot, then I realized this would take a lot of time and effort (something I do not currently have with an 18 credit schedule). Then I decided to make a poster and divide it into four different “scenes” (one for each section of my website). This turned into a fail too. I realized that using my laptop and all of the wonderful technologies would be the best way to go, so I started designing a mock website homepage and had a ton of fun experimenting with colors, fonts, layout, and design. Then I added in reflective comments to justify my choices and explain my purpose. After creating my storyboard, I decided to steer away from Glamour and produce my own website. Why should I stick to their theme when I have my own wonderful ideas? My current challenge is choosing the proper platform–I would LOVE if I could actually develop a usable site. Any advice would be much appreciated!

4 thoughts to “Storyboard Success”

1. I can totally envision what the final product will look like and I really like the bright colors and layout. I think you could benefit a lot from moving away from Microsoft Word and into a program like InDesign. You should set up an appointment with Breanna Hamm (phone number – 734-764-0258; email – Hammbr@umich.edu) because she was so helpful for me.

I’m not sure what you think, but this seems very ambitious and I don’t know if it might be easier to cut down the amount of things you have on your site. If you have news of the day and other articles, would you be writing those? Is that too much work to have to write ten or so articles? The style is great – it seems very organized and I can tell you have a clear idea of what you want to do. You did a great job planning out the different sections of your webpage, I’m just not sure if this is going to be too hard and time consuming to create. I also am not sure if this is going to be a published and accessible website.

The thesis is clearly presented in the very title of the website, “Beauty and Brains.” From what you’ve said, it seems like the goal is to create an interactive website for women ages 18-24 that combines beauty/health information with current news. I really like the idea of making a trendy magazine equally about news/current events and fashion.

I think the key things to work on are: making the design layout more professional, filling in the sections with content, and deciding whether or not you want this website to be accessible to the public. You’re storyboard was very creative and clear and all your transitions seem to work. You are constantly connecting the “beauty and brains” message throughout the types of content you’re using.

1. Thanks for all of the advice! I emailed Breanna so hopefully she can help me with InDesign. I’m not sure yet if this site will be a real functioning site; I think that would take a ton of time and energy. I am planning to create as close to a functioning website as possible and as far as all of the articles go, I only plan to write a few to show what the site is supposed to be (give the readers a look into the content). I still plan to keep all aspects of my site, but only fully develop some of them. What do you think?

1. I don’t think so…I will double check with Naomi but I think this should still work. It’s a progression from my re-purposing essay. I’m still using the same idea and audience, just expanding on it and taking a slightly different spin.