Re-Mediation, the Dichotomy

As I’m fixing my re-mediation project, I keep getting side-tracked. There is so much I want to do aesthetically that it’s inhibiting my ability to produce content. It’s become an obsession, no joke.

I start writing, and then the same question pops in my head: Would someone get bored reading this? Being myself, an impatient, I-only-care-about-the-information-I-need type of person, I  assume yes before I finish asking the question. Instead of focusing on the text, I turn to the bells and whistles.

What can I do to entice people to stay on the site? Superficial?  Definitely. But I can’t help it.

I wish I was one of those noble writers who slapped their writing on a page and wanted the writing to speak for itself.

Compliments of Andy Mangold, Flickr

It just sounds better to be that way, revered in a higher regard. Do I really want to be that way, though? No, that’s not me. Not me at all. I mean, c’mon, I’m not pettifogging.

I am going to focus on the text more for now, however, because it is far from perfect. It will be interesting to see the end result nonetheless. Will design and interactivity take the upper-hand, or will my website be content-rich that lives up to its purpose?

Joseph Elliott

Hello, my name is Joseph Elliott, and I am a student at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, obtaining a Minor in Writing.