Semester Drop-In from a F’11-er

Last semester, I was in English 325 and Writing 200. Papers/writing assignments were due every week or so.

This semester, I have ONE paper due…all term. It’s a weird feeling to not have a  paper to work on. I hate writing, but I love it with an equal passion. It’s just a different kind of “studying.” That being said, writing may be out in a formal, academic way for me, but it is ever present in many other realms: lab reports, personal statements, applications, e-mails, etc. I find myself actually relieved when I see that an application requires an essay of some sort because I know that will be the place that I can really set myself apart.

On a different note, I drop in on the blog every once in a while while I”m procrastinating work and I’m in disbelief (in a good way!). I have been truly AMAZED at the parallels that the new cohort is experiencing that we experienced in the fall with the “Why I Write” paper. Even though it’s a new teacher/different people, the thought processes have been surprisingly relatable. One of the biggest things I struggled with in that assignment was trying to make it meaningful; I realized that I write to learn and writing about myself seemed to, in itself, defy my purpose for writing. What I found out was that learning, even if it is about yourself, opens up a wealth of things to write about. I was able to finish what I would say is my best piece of writing to date,  in my English 325 class because I decided to engage in a little introspective writing.

One last note on writing (even though this post has been a random string of “writing-related thoughts” from the beginning). My Eng 325 guy said that writers have a morbid way of envying people who have had something terrible happen to them because it gives them something to write about. Today, I stumbled (yes, that kind) upon this:

INTERVIEWER

What would you consider the best intellectual training for the would-be writer?

HEMINGWAY

Let’s say that he should go out and hang himself because he finds that writing well is impossibly difficult. Then he should be cut down without mercy and forced by his own self to write as well as he can for the rest of his life. At least he will have the story of the hanging to commence with.

Happy Thursday 🙂