Blogging about Blogging (Part II)

I may have mentioned this to some of you before, but when I entered this class, I had presumptions about blogging.  I kind of hated it, really.  I thought that it was too “relaxed” and I was cautious about social media writing.  After reading Sullivan’s piece and blogging for a few weeks, I changed my opinion.  Blogging is not bad–it’s different.

There is a special set of expectations for blogging. I think that a lot of other types/modes of writing speak to specific audiences (academic, humor, etc.).  Blogging, though, is a brand new form of what seems like “universal writing.”  Sullivan says, “Indeed, the most pleasant surprise of blogging has been the number of people working in law or government or academia or rearing kids at home who have real literary talent and real knowledge, and who had no outlet—until now.”  I like this.  I also think it is relevant to our Re-Purposing Essay, as my goal is to make a literary research essay more accessible.

Blogging is a representation of the spoken word, as opposed to the planned and revised writing we are all so used to.  Sullivan does a fantastic job talking about what blogging’s role is in our society and what people expect from blogging.  Something that stuck with me is from the very beginning.  He says, “But as blogging evolves as a literary form, it is generating a new and quintessentially postmodern idiom that’s enabling writers to express themselves in ways that have never been seen or understood before.”  I definitely agree with this and am curious to see where writing will be a century from now with the advancement of technology.  However, I don’t know what to make of postmodernism (I don’t think very many people do).  I couldn’t help but think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdO9orWQ-Nk&feature=related

Blogging is NOT weird for the sake of being weird –I think calling bogging postmodern is a stretch, though.  I like to think about postmodernism as more of a social advancement. Whoa.  This always happens to me when I write.  I just realized that I cannot argue that postmodernism is a social advancement if I want to say blogging is not postmodern.  Blogging is here because of the Internet –a social advancement.  Touché blogging.  You got me again.  However, it still feels weird to call blogging postmodern…

Finally, as I said earlier, I will be taking a science research paper and turning it into a magazine article.  I think it would be fun to make it humorous while still talking about a lot of the research.  I just might have to turn it into a blog post.

One thought to “Blogging about Blogging (Part II)”

1. Andrew, I really like what you say about blogging being a form of “universal writing” especially because blogging essentially allows a writer to get his or her opinions out to anyone anywhere in the world. Also, there are so many different kinds of bloggers. (Perhaps even more than there are in print? After all, it is much easier to publish on the Web than on paper.)

As for your re-purposing project, you mention in class today that you have a new idea for the project. I don’t know if you’re still working with the paper about running, but I think that that paper, re-purposed, may do really well as a blog post because you can link to many sources to help make your points. Also, publishing your article in a blog can allow you to inject more lightheartedness into a serious topic with the help of images and videos.