Ignorance is Bliss, Except When Blogging

In some ways it is difficult to relate to Andrew Sullivan as a blogger, simply because of his position in the journalism world versus mine (none). Writing on this blog once a week about how my projects are coming or what I think about the reading doesn’t make me too conscious or worried about the comments I’m going to get back. I’m making claims about any news-worthy, but controversial events that all you readers are going to blow-up on me for writing or even contradict in many ways. I also don’t have to worry about being too wrong in what I’m writing, either. Sullivan says that a blog is almost like a diary that is instantly posted for people to see, and in my “diary” here I don’t make too many predictions or presumptuous claims that can be refuted with new information – I just talk about me!

I have had some experiences kind of like Sullivan’s (kind of). In another class I have to blog about current social issues and analyze them. This was a much more nerve-racking process because other students had to comment on my post, and its hard to find a social issue that doesn’t have differing opinions. Unlike Sullivan, I had a few weeks to come up with something to write about, do research on, and edit before I had to publish my post. No cut-throat deadlines for me.

When I hear college dropout, I think Kanye

When thinking about this next essay in which we are repurposing an old writing piece, I have felt similar to Sullivan in his thoughts about how in a blog he is able to see how he thought about something in the past compared to now. I’m planning on using a more explorative essay in which I wrote about my friends that had dropped out of college. However, now I have taken a few classes on education and my perspectives have completely changed. I have so many thoughts about higher ed than I did when I wrote the paper, so it’s so interesting to see what I used to say about college way quite a while ago. My mind was racing about how much I could have changed the paper, but I also value that it shows myself at that time in my life. Maybe I was less-informed, but I was real and I was thinking.

However, unlike blogging, this essay will allow us to edit things that we have done that we don’t see the same way anymore. If I had blogged about my college drop-out friends back in my sophomore year, I would be punching myself now that I have so much more information about the subject. I wouldn’t be able to fix how ignorant some of my conclusions were or add more research to what I had to say.

For the repurposing assignment, do you think we are similar to a blogger because we are able to see how we have changed over time, or do you think we are completely different because we are getting the opportunity to change something that bloggers don’t have the ability to do?