What are you going to do with that?

Sorry this is late. I forgot to move from the ‘save draft’ to ‘publish’ step.

I hope you can picture the sarcastic tone of the speaker and imagine me trying to swallow down my frustration as I explain that no, philosophy is not subjective but a very rigorous field of study that is concerned with discerning truth in many areas of life. And no, minoring in writing is not impractical, but will be very helpful to whatever career I choose to do because strong communication skills is very important in the professional world.

I had a job interview this week and I was asked about my writing experience and if I was comfortable taking large papers and condensing them to 250 words or a single sentence. I thought of two things: our repurposing essay and our portfolio. I wished I had a copy of some work of mine to show her concretely how comfortable and experienced I was taking lots of information and providing a short summary. When I was browsing through people’s portfolio’s from previous classes, I was impressed at how clean, professional and informative they were. You could get a sense of who the writer was, how they went about writing, and it was a very tangible way to see that they cared about their writing and were working to perfect it.

When people ask me irksome questions about my major, I usually judge them as a thinker–oh you think philosophy is subjective hmmm? Shows how informed about the world you are. The way I critic their responses reminds me of how our discussions and readings we did in class last week made me reflect on who I am a reader and a thinker. Our group’s text specifically made me wonder if I am as proficient as a reader as I thought I was. When I was looking and reading people’s various portfolios, I looked at the lay-out of the website, wondered about the color-choices and why people picked certain pieces of writing over others. One person included links to all of our blog posts for this blog. I tried to approach my reading rhetorically. But I found this hard because I was mostly focusing on my questions: what pieces will I choose to put on my portfolio? What colors will I use? Will I use wordpress or something different to make it?I found that in general, I didn’t think about our readings much when I was looking at the portfolios but more focused on how I would use them as a tool to plan my own. (bad Alicia, I know.)

Another note:I also noticed how everyone’s final blog posts held similar threads of emotions of worry about it being good enough, about which writing they choice to include and if it was polished enough, and happiness that the project was done. That is a comforting and useful part of this class so far. I’ve seen how fellow writers struggle to find the confidence to start a draft, or hate to re-read things after they’ve turned them in. It makes me feel a bit less strange to know that everyone else is going through these same experiences and reactions together. And I’m glad I have this class to find that out.