Ma, This Blog Post is Going on the Fridge

Just in case my new blog group members have not read my previously enthralling posts, which is somewhat unimaginable (sorry I use a fair amount of sarcasm), I spent a lot of time lamenting the effect that technology is having on our generation’s writing quality. I was essentially arguing that in this day and age, with the advent of Twitter and text messaging, younger people are constantly ensconced in a brutish form of writing that disgraces the art form that it truly is.

While I am not quite ready to completely change my opinion on this seemingly controversial issue, the re-purposing project that we just completed definitely affected my views. I sheepishly just wrote a poem for our class, the first since I have been able to go to the bathroom by myself. While it was daunting, it definitely made me appreciate specific previously shadowed aspects of writing.

I reluctantly handed in my first draft to Dr. Manis to receive feedback, and the most important advice that she gave was that “it’s crucial that every word, and every combination of words, is used with purpose and precision.” Obviously I attempted to apply this to my poem, and hopefully I was successful in doing so.

As I sat in class Monday (after 11:30), demonstrating the mastery of texting while appearing to listen, I typed out an extremely long text, so long that I actually felt bad for the recipient. So I sat there continuing to show my multi-tasking skills, also trying to cut this essay into an appropriate 160 character message. As I edited, I kept thinking about the aforementioned advice, and I suddenly began applying it to my message. This occurrence made me reflect on texting, and the fact that I often use precision in my word choice.

I don’t use exclamation points; for some reason it makes me uncomfortable and clashes with my personality which completely lacks emotion. This has caused a problem in past textual conversations, for example when my sister got into her top choice college. I was obviously extremely excited, but due to the size limit of a text and my personal exclamatory issues, I had to be extremely creative in conveying my excitement. This has not been the only instance when I have had to put intense thought and knowledge of our language into a conversation. When I meet a girl that I like, and I’m in that weird stage of getting to know one another, I often spend up to twenty minutes just reading the message over and over, wondering how she will read it. Replacing a simple period with an ellipsis, adding a “haha” to show my sarcasm, or even changing metaphors so as to be sure of her comprehension, often leads to headaches on my end. However, this whole ridiculous process demonstrated to me how texting is not simply thirteen year old girls giggling about how little Stevie broke his tailbone and now sits on a doughnut, or young deviant boys plotting their next prank on the substitute teacher.   IDK, My BFF Jill?     I am sure these conversations are still quite prevalent, but texting can also be a form of writing that would be refrigerator worthy (Mom still hasn’t allowed me to check that one off the bucket list). Basically I have come to the conclusion that it is not the medium of writing disgraces this art, but rather the composer themselves. This is a harsh statement, and I do realize that we all send the occasional, and might I add horrific, one word “K” text, but all I am trying to argue is that all texting does not necessarily take this form, we are capable of using different mediums in an intelligent manner.

If anyone could tell me how to actually show videos in the link as opposed to a link that would be greatly appreciated, I’ve been struggling for awhile with that.

2 thoughts to “Ma, This Blog Post is Going on the Fridge”

1. Thank you for writing this post, I never really intellectualized texting as a medium of writing before. I thought that your example about texting a girl that you like was really interesting, and how you spend time over ‘making each word count’ and how this thought can be translated to your own work in academia.

Personally, I am guilty of using bad grammar and spelling and almost everything else while texting. My mom is a professor and, being a PhD, it is super intesting to see how when she responds to my texts, they are absolutely perfect grammatically and her word choice is still quite advanced even within that medium. Once again, her overachieving puts me to shame 🙂

Good work
    -jen

2. LOVE. THIS. POST. Have you read Marshall McLuhan’s “The Medium is the Message?” You might enjoy it. In fact, I’m now wondering why I didn’t assign it! Oh, syllabi, always revising…

On the topic of embedding videos, touch base with me–I’ll walk you through it. (Ron has mastered it, too, and he’d probably show you.)