Question:

Hi everyone!

Since I am writing about the reasons I write, I have been thinking a lot about the creative process.  I keep going back to the same train of thought, and I am wondering your opinions:

Does creativity form from our life experiences, or is it possible that creativity generates those experiences?

I can’t wait to here what you think!

Jourdan

One thought to “Question:”

1. That’s an interesting question. It’s difficult to separate yourself from your experiences, so I think the creative process is cyclical. A lot of people think of writing, and other art forms, as something that requires a bolt of inspiration in order to get rolling. This would support your idea that creativity stems from our life experiences.

But one of the big questions I had in my essay was, “Where does the writing process take me? Does it simply allow me to express and present myself to the world, or is it a constant cycle of exploration?”
    In order words, is a written work just a record of one’s thoughts and feelings, or is it a space where those thoughts and feelings interact, build off of each other, and move in different directions?
    When I write, I don’t just start by thinking, “I experienced this exciting/challenging/disappointing thing, and I want to express it concrete terms,” but rather, “I have an idea that I want to explore, and I have no idea where I’ll end up if I start writing about it.”
    I think in this way, it’s possible that creativity can generate new ideas, and those ideas can lead you in different directions, ultimately generating new experiences. Those new experiences may inspire you create something new, starting the process all over again.