Repurposing Brainstorming

For my repurposing project I am thinking of taking an argumentative essay and transforming it into a children’s book. My essay is arguing against implementing Cape Wind (an off shore wind turbine project) on Cape Cod. I think I could easily portray Cape Cod’s beauty to children, explain the purpose of the wind project in very simplistic terms and get my point across of why I don’t want the project to take place on Cape Cod.

I want to explain all of this in the from of a story with undertones of my argument. I am brainstorming some ideas so I could write a metaphorical story based on my argument. I just need to figure out which age group of children I am targeting.

To get my children’s book juices flowing I would like to hear a few things from you.

What is your favorite children’s book and why?

Who was your favorite character as a child (TV or from a story – just not from the story you listed above)?

One thought to “Repurposing Brainstorming”

1. My favorite book as a kid was (and still is) “Corduroy” by Don Freeman. When he was rejected for his missing button, I too was rejected. There was something about his imperfection that made be want to pick him up off that shelf.

[For your pleasure, I give you “Corduroy:” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3uV8wrM1Ck%5D

My favorite character as a kid was Charlotte of “Charlotte’s Web” fame, no challenge. She is strong and kind and easy to love.

Are you thinking of creating a genuine story to depict your argument? A fish who is sad that someone is taking over his home with big turbines? As you said, the age (and maybe even overall demographic?) of your audience is huge. But Angelle, dude, I’m real excited to see what you come up with!