Turning Motivation into Words

It’s tough to put such a large feeling into words. As I began to write my own “Why I Write”, I found myself struggling to find the balance between writing a deeper explanation of my motivation to write, while not regressing into a stream-of-consciousness that nobody wants to read. The reason this is not as easy as I would like is the essence of the topic. It’s like someone asking you why you pursue a hobby you are incredibly passionate about, but restricting you to a few sentences. Most people, when presented with the opportunity to share their feelings on their individual motivations, allow their words to spill forth, often slipping into an unfiltered, grammatically-incorrect account about their passion. And sometimes you hear people end their bubblings with a weary exclamation, “Well…it’s something you just have to experience”, or “It’s tough to put into words”.

This is where I am at in my “Why I Write” essay. I want to write something clean, flashy, memorable, and emotionally charged. It’s not every day you are tasked with putting to paper such a personal desire like the desire to write. It’s almost like asking an extrovert why they enjoy the presence of people, why they feel the need to entertain others, or similar personal questions. It brushes on a deeper question, the question of deep fulfillment. I do have a central arc planned, however. One could almost say a missions statement (even though I’m not a huge fan of them). I want people to understand how I brainstorm ideas. I don’t sit in a chair and think. It’s a daily, monthly, yearly instinct. Whenever I’m listening to music, especially walking to class, I find myself visualizing my own movie trailers, which is slightly silly, yet I can’t seem to shake it. This starts the ball rolling for what the movie would be about, which eventually causes me to say, “Hey, this story would be awesome, I should write it.” And then, the next track comes on, and the process starts over. Multiply this by pretty much every school day, and I begin to filter the better stories, logging the better ones into my memory, and then I begin to write. I write because I want people to experience a story that makes them forget their reading a book. A typical writer’s goal, but I am really aiming for that immersible experience where hours pass by unnoticed. If I can relate this desire/feeling in my piece, I will be satisfied.

8 thoughts to “Turning Motivation into Words”

1. I think your post may resonate with many people in our class. When writing, we all want it to appear as if it is some amazing masterpiece. You especially hit the nail on the head when discussing how people normally would describe their passion and how that’s not what you would prefer to revert to. How can we describe something innate and something so indescribable as a passion to write?

2. Actually, I think in the course of this post you narrowed it down to exactly why you write: to share stories. I find that when trying to tackle a big, nebulous question such as “Why do I write?” we often over complicate the answer when really it’s quite simple. There are a few core goals you’ve got, I’m positive. They’re at the root of all the bubbly rambling you can come up with. Just follow the threads until you find their endings.

1. Thanks, I think I’ll be able to whittle it down to what I want. Also, you, Sarah, and myself are all commenting on each other’s posts at the same time. I find this way funnier than it should be.

3. OHHH I like this. I am actually a HUGEEEE movie person. I especially love movie soundtracks. So in a similar way to you, when I listen to a song I can think about what part of a movie plot it would be in. I would imagine writing probably comes better when the idea comes in an innovative way.. such as through music! Hopefully listening to music helps you bring the way you feel about writing into words.

Good luck!! 🙂

4. So, music/movies are your inspiration. Sarah’s is Glee. Mine is definitely surfing the web. I’ll start with a random google search about the generic topic of my essay and end up on stumbleupon for an hour and a half, walking away from the computer with about a hundred new ideas. Your reason for writing is very exciting and parallels my reason for why I read – to get lost in the story and forget that I am reading a book. This parallel is definitely a good thing!