blogging and repurposing

“A columnist can ignore or duck a subject less noticeably than a blogger committing thoughts to pixels several times a day. A reporter can wait—must wait—until every source has confirmed. A novelist can spend months or years before committing words to the world. For bloggers, the deadline is always now. Blogging is therefore to writing what extreme sports are to athletics: more free-form, more accident-prone, less formal, more alive. It is, in many ways, writing out loud.”

I feel like this quote sums up the work blogging has done for me as well as what separates it from other genres, as well as what separates the other genres from each other. Blogging differs in its casual demeanor and informal tone. Bloggers write to appeal often to an audience who wants to read blogs because they don’t sound like the New York Times or Seventeen magazine. They are more personal. During class blogging thus far, I have read a lot of interesting ideas and thoughts from my peers, casual and more in depth. I enjoy reading blogs because the voice evokes a personality of a conversation with a friend, rather than an esteemed professor or columnist. I feel like I can write back and that my opinions are more valid, even if the topic is the same. Blogging makes me question credibility as well, simply because it is easy to. Hyperlinks and photographs and already being on the internet while reading a blog makes me a more invested reader, wanting to know more, and being able to find out more about the topic at hand.

My repurposing project is turning a rather fluffy magazine article into an informative, very business oriented piece for the Wall Street Journal. Blogging has helped me realize what I need to do in terms of audience. Since, in blogging, whether there is personal motive or the need for extra points, I want people to respond and be interested in what I have to say. Therefore, if I really wanted people to read things, I would tailor my blog posts for a specific audience. This need for specialization has made me think more about the specialization I will need in my repurposing project. I have to figure out what business people want to hear/read about, what vocabulary, what graphs, etc. I feel like blogging has better prepared me for this project…And that it might be kind of fun…

2 thoughts to “blogging and repurposing”

1. “I feel like I can write back and that my opinions are more valid…” I really like what you are thinking here in terms of blogging and engaging in a dialogue, Madelaine. Because you are so open to it and have embraced the conversation, your post (much like this one) communicate freely with your audience. And you know who that audience is, so it’s easier that way, right? Really honing your WSJ audience will give your re-purposing project the possibility of being freaking fantastic. For realz.

2. I totally agree with the idea that blogs are more open and easy to read, and this appeals to a larger audience. I really think that blogs are going to become increasingly popular in the future for this reason. Despite this, I think that it is still really important to be able to write more formally, so I like the fact that you are taking on the challenge of taking and “fluffy” piece and turning it into something more professional. I also think it might be interesting to write blogs for different audiences, some more formal while others are more conversational to see if some of the people who read newspaper might switch over to the blogging community…just a thought.