Engaging the reader

Before this class and reading Andrew Sullivan’s blogging piece, I always thought blogs weren’t really much of anything. I used to consider it something that people used to ramble on about their biased views. Yet, through the past few weeks in this class, I have discovered some new aspects of blogging. As Sullivan puts it best “the role of the a blogger…is similar in this way to the host of a dinner party. He can provoke discussion or take a position, even passionately, but he also must create an atmosphere in which others want to participate.” This has been far one of the most important and helpful aspects of writing that I have learned thus far in this course. Whether it’s a blog or an article you are writing, you have to attract the reader and have an understanding as to whom the audience is that you are targeting. I think this can really help me with my repurposing assignment. As I try to write a letter to a UN member or create an op-ed am I definitely going to have to keep in mind not only who the audience is, but also why the audience will care about what I have to say? Why will they want to engage in my points and even argue against them? For this assignment, as stated in my previous blog, I am planning to use an academic essay I wrote about a possible two-state solution between Israel and Palestine. I think that I could definitely try to create an atmosphere in which the audience will want to participate by explaining just how important this resolution is and also how time is running out and a two-state solution may no longer be a feasible option. I realize this can be a challenging task to create an environment that keeps the reader active, but I am looking forward to the challenge of repurposing my original essay.

2 thoughts to “Engaging the reader”

1. I’m loving your enthusiasm, Brandon! I also really like that you pulled out the Sullivan quote talking about the dinner party host. How true is that? How are you looking to keep your audience participating? Or, more specifically, do you have your audience strictly defined/positioned in your mind? Has that been the easy part or the hard part? So many questions, but I know you’ll hash them all out in the re-purposing process.

2. Brandon… I thought the same thing. I thought that blogs were for angry people who were over confident in their opinions. I now definitely agree with the quote you pulled from Sullivan and think that wanting to engage the audience is always a good idea. I have similar questions to Emily. How, in writing to a UN person, are you going to engage them? It may help to look at a specific member of the UN, maybe do a lil background check on them or even look at some articles they wrote. That way you can cater to their likes and dislikes to make your letter even more engaging to your specific audience member.