Learning new tricks

In the midst of wondering why I took on five classes when I didn’t necessarily have to and willing my mind to work faster to meet deadlines, I managed to get an unpaid writing position in a not-for-profit organization. On one hand, I’ve got friends asking if I’m crazy. On the other hand, I actually think this is probably one of the best opportunities I’ve had to put my writing to use. So I’m not going to complain even if I have to spend my weekends writing and editing articles on top of all the writing projects for an English class.

My first task in the job was to write up a businessman’s profile. For a while, I was struggling to simply arrange information in a sensible way. How hard could it be, right? Apparently, it can be quite hard. It’s one thing to write about something that my professors and peers read, it’s quite another to write something about someone who I know is going to read the write-up about himself (especially when he’s a successful businessman with a ton of awards and recognition).

With that being said, the writing process has proven to be a good experience. In trying out a completely new style of writing, I had to quickly learn to adapt and to apply the skills and tools I’d learned throughout all my writing classes. Without feedback from other people, I had to work independently and trust myself to make the right decisions. It was in this decision-making process that I relied heavily on theĀ  many workshops I’ve sat through. To distance myself from the content for a bit, I took a step back and looked at the article as if I were just sitting in class and giving a peer review. It helped me see where to cut content, where to substitute words, how to improve the tone, etc. So I suppose this first assignment was a great reminder that it is necessary to take myself out of the writing and look at it as objectively as possible. It isn’t the easiest thing at times but who ever says that writing is easy? At least it’s rewarding!