Putting the E-Portfolio to Use

This summer, I applied for multiple internships and went on a variety of interviews. As usual, the focus was on previous job experience and skills that were relevant to the position. But I was shocked by the comprehensive review of my application from my interviewers.

I wanted to stand out and give my resume a more personal touch, so I decided to include my e-portfolio as a part of my resume. I included the e-portfolio at the top of resume with its URL and a QR code. I was unsure if QR codes were effective in the business world, but I was willing to take a shot at it.

In the interview for the internship that I accepted, one of the interviews pulled out his phone during the interview. He asked about my writing style and technique and then scanned the QR code from resume for the e-portfolio. He looked around my e-portfolio on his phone while asking questions about the pieces of writing. He said that the e-portfolio was a great way to contextualize my writing experience and helped them, the two interviewers, understand if my style was suitable for their professional business working environment.

This experience emphasized the practical value of the e-portfolio, and I was ecstatic that I was able to benefit in my job-hunt from something that I did in the classroom. Has anyone else had such successes?

Joseph Elliott

Hello, my name is Joseph Elliott, and I am a student at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, obtaining a Minor in Writing.

One thought to “Putting the E-Portfolio to Use”

1. Joe, this is awesome! I don’t think I would have ever thought of adding a QR code on my resume; what a creative touch! I might have to steal that idea for my CV.

Glad to hear it worked out so well for you!