Re-purposing begins..

I am hoping that blogging about my re-purposing project will help me to generate some of my own ideas, since me blogging has basically turned into a stream of consciousness (well…as fast as my fingers can type my thoughts)!

In preparation for class, I have been trying to start my annotated bibliography and draft a proposal. I have decided to use an entry that I wrote in the “One Line a Day” journal I have about traveling to Yellowstone with my family this past summer. What I wrote brings back good memories and I think that this will be a topic that I can deal with for the rest of the semester! I want to re-purpose it into a travel essay – something that would get published in a traveler magazine.

I’ve been semi-successful at finding sources…basically I googled “traveler magazine” and “travel essays”. There is a lot out there, but there is also a lot of “50 things to see at “place x”” articles, and those really aren’t all that helpful for me. It’s going to take some digging to find good material to work with so that I know how to format this re-purposing project. I feel like I have an idea in my head of how something like this should look, I just need to back up these thoughts with real examples!

That’s where I’m at so far. There is so much out there to pull from that it’s almost overwhelming starting to do research! However, if anyone enjoys reading travel essays/travel blogs/ANYTHING travel related, please let me know (i.e. send me the links ;))

4 thoughts to “Re-purposing begins..”

1. Yellowstone – one of my favorite places out west besides Jackson, WY. I absolutely LOVE your idea to stick with something that brings you happy memories and that you won’t get tired of a week into wrestling with it. Do you think you’ll include photos with your travel piece? What about a really engaging font and design for your title/header? I cannot wait to see what you come up with. (And if you need photos, I have hundreds.)

1. Thank you! I am definitely thinking of including photos since I have hundreds, too! I think that it will be a good way to format the travel essay. I also love your suggestion of a engaging font/design for the title – I’m trying to look at different examples to see if there’s a common way these things are done.

2. Try googling “travel narratives”–that might land you better results. And you may rethink travel magazines as a venue if you’re mostly finding “50 must-see” type pieces in those. The New Yorker for instance, publishes quality travel writing.

Also, the work of Ian Frazer, Frances Meyers, and Peter Mayle (among others) may be of use to you. Frazer in particular has a piece in a recent New Yorker about Siberia; Frances Meyers is the Under the Tuscan Sun author; Peter Mayle wrote A Year in Provence. 🙂

3. Pingback: Keep on blogging |