Re-purposing Excitement and Roadblocks

I attended the Minor in Writing info session in mid January before I’d even applied to the program, and the main thing I remember from the session was the students in the current cohort describing the amazingly cool re-purposing assignments they had completed. One guy repurposed his essay into a video, another girl repurposed and argumentative analysis into a magazine article. I’ve always wanted to work doing editorial work or something at a magazine, so I was intrigued at the idea of doing an assignment like this for a class, and amazed at how professional the girl made her piece look. Although at this time I already knew I wanted to be a minor in writing, I remember walking out after seeing these distinctly unique projects made me excited to be a minor in writing.

So I here I am about to start my own repurposing project. I  would love to write for so many different mediums; in a fantasy land, I’d love to one day be a teen fiction author, a movie critic, a children’s writer, a restaurant reviewer, a fashion columnist for the NewYorkTimes or even a comedic blogger on a site like betcheslovethis would be super entertaining. Since this sort of writing is what interests me, I really want to repurpose one of my argumentative essays I have written in the past into one of these new formats. Yet being an indecisive person I am at a crossroads here since I not only need to decide what kind of project I want to work on, but also I need to figure out a starting piece which would enable me to do a fun and engaging problem such as this.

Looking through my old essays, most of them have to do with the media since I am a communications major. I was thinking of doing some kind of changing of these media-analysis papers filled with communication class terms to a more pop-culture like piece that would be in a magazine like Entertainment. But then I’m confused as where I go from there as I am horrible with technology and do not even know where to begin in how I would format a piece to look like an actual article. Also how do I research such a topic? Read articles on how magazines are produced or formatted? Aside from taking out terms for the original assignment, I don’t even know how I would repurpose this article to be that different than the original piece.

So that leads me back to my original indecision. Should I instead refocus my paper completely and do something like movie review instead? Or should I save that for the remediation project? Am I too technologically challenged to even do something like this? Are these topics too unprofessional to put on my ePortfolio which I someday hope to use on my resume and to show future employers? These are my roadblocks.

2 thoughts to “Re-purposing Excitement and Roadblocks”

1. You ask some good questions, Abby. Several of them are very similar to the ones I’m wondering about too with regard to this project. Like you, I am still a bit confused about the difference between the re-purposing and re-mediation projects. It’s my understanding that they’re supposed to be on the same general topic, so if you wanted to do the movie review for the re-mediation I think you’d also have to do it for this project. But obviously, there’s a lot of latitude between the two so I think you could find a way to incorporate a communications theme as well. So maybe this is one of those situations where the solution is both/and instead of either/or. Communication and movies are such broad topics that I’m sure there’s an overlap that suits your interests for both projects.

2. Abby,

I can definitely sympathize with your confusion as I have been having several similar thoughts. I struggled to pick the source for my project since I know I will have to live with it for the course of the entire semester as we continue on to our re-mediation projects. I think that the idea of using one of your Communications essays is a great one. As Joe mentioned as well, it seems as if there are endless possibilities for what you can do with it for both the re-purposing and the re-mediation projects. I would suggest to start trying to write a proposal/outline for one of your ideas, and if that doesn’t seem to be working you can try something else! good luck!