[Pika!] Time Truly Does Fly

Hello,

Over Thanksgiving break, I was at my cousin’s wedding and faced the obvious and endless questions of “How’s school?” and “When are you taking the MCAT?” and “What medical schools are you planning on applying to?” In the past, I’ve always had the mentality that those things are so far in the future.  Now, though, I’m going to start preparing for the MCAT in a couple of months.  The future is now, and I know that’s true for a lot of us.  People are applying for real jobs in the real world and preparing for the next step in their lives.  This is surreal to me–it seemed like those types of things were too distant to think about, but now it’s finally happening.  College (at least for me) is already halfway over, I only have one football season left to experience, and I will never have to worry about housing situations at UMich every again. WEIRD!

Does anybody else feel this way? That things are flying by so quickly? That we becoming fully independent adults faster than we think? It’s a scary thought, but I’ve been thinking about it more and more often recently.

4 thoughts to “[Pika!] Time Truly Does Fly”

1. I was actually just thinking about this over break as well. I am turning 20 in just two weeks and it hit me that my childhood AND teenage years are officially over. I have always thought of the “20’s” as so old and far off. I feel like so many crucial things happen in your 20’s: marriage, jobs, and even kids. I can’t believe I am entering that stage!

2. Yes, Mark, I feel the same way. It really hit me once I started my job search and everyone expects me to know what type of industry that I want to go into already. I remember my freshman year orientation vividly and it is so weird that I’m now a junior with only a few weeks left in my first semester. I think that Ferris Bueller got it right when he said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Good luck with everything!

3. I get asked those same questions so I understand your fear. I do think time has just flown by. I remember being a freshmen and becoming serious about being interested in medicine. I remember listening to people talk about the dreaded MCAT and was just like well that sucks but not really resonating with it because it was so far off in the future. Now with winter semester starting I have to start studying hard and I would rather do anything but. Growing up sucks.

4. Yeah the idea of being an adult really scares me. See I’m not going into medicine, business, engineering or something employable, so I don’t think I’m going to be able to get a job. Of the people in my field the ones who will get jobs will be the ones who had internships in China and tons of research experience and straight A’s. So honestly I just try not to think about the future because I am too afraid.