Blog Topics

After leaving the keystone course (I took it last fall) where a blog topic was conveniently given each week, I must admit that I’ve been struggling a bit to think of a topic worthy of being written about.  I’m not sure why I am having a hard time with this because there are so many unique experiences in Ann Arbor that deserve to be written about.  I think that when I’m not in a course focused about writing, it is too easy to forget that there are opportunities for observation everywhere.  I am in the process of writing my honors thesis, am in two psychology classes that require papers and one women’s studies class that requires multiple essays and one final project.  All of these classes involve writing in some way and I should be able to derive ideas from there.  That is not mentioning all of the experiences I have with writing that occur in my daily life.  I am on the planning committee for Relay for Life and right now we are attempting to recruit groups for our event.  I wrote numerous emails to the coaches of varsity sports teams at U of M.  Even though this may not seem like writing in the academic sense – it still is!  I guess the point of my blog was that I need to be aware of all of the moments in my life that writing is involved.  I need to observe my abilities and difficulties and reflect on how to become even better.

I had my minor release meeting today with T Hetzel and we discussed the possibility of forming a committee for the minor that sends out a topic idea each month for those cohorts that are no longer in the gateway course.  I’m not sure if anyone else is excited about this, but I think that it would be a great idea to help students contribute to the blog each month.

Finally, I’m sure some of you know this but the deadline for Writing Minor applications has been extended to this Monday at 5pm.  If anyone knows someone who would like to be in the minor, PLEASE tell them to apply!