Journalism Joys

When it comes to solving complex mathematical equations, determining the value of x and y, or understanding the physics behind thermal energy, I’ll admit I get pretty confused.  But, so what?  I can sleep perfectly well at night knowing that even though I won’t be a superstar doctor, I’m capable of putting together a logical, coherent, and intelligent sentence.  That’s because I’m a writer and am darn proud of it.

A few days ago, I had dinner with a friend, and as we were saying goodbye at the end of the meal, she turns to me and says, “Ugh, you’re so lucky you’re a Comm major—it seems like you get away with not doing any homework.”   It’s comments like those that make me smile believe it or not.  I smile because I love what I’m studying and can’t help but roll my eyes at all the students who think that any major that doesn’t revolve around math and science is subpar.

As a writer, I’m pretty impressed with everything journalists can do via the written word.   We can persuade, inform, and share knowledge clearly and concisely.  We can communicate with others in a meaningful way and forge meaningful relationships with those we communicate with.  Writers are influential people—we have the power to create change all through words and language, and that should be respected.

My friend was correct about one thing—I don’t have a lot of “homework” because to me, writing doesn’t constitute “homework.”  Writing is something that I love doing and want to do.  Of course, there are some forms of writing that I enjoy much more than others, but in the end, it’s all about communicating your thoughts and feelings through words.  So, even though I don’t spend my nights tackling calculus problems on Web Work, I spend them typing away a mile a minute—and I wouldn’t have it any other way.