[Pika!] The Adjustment

Whenever I go from school to home or vice versa, it takes me a few days to get back into the swing of things.  I know that it is totally normal to have to adjust, but coming back to school today from Thanksgiving break has been harder than usual.  I feel unfocused and unable to accomplish the work I need to do, because I am still in home relaxation mode. I keep staring at my school planner and counting the days till winter break, which is anything but productive.  I just realized that there really is only 2 weeks left of class, CRAZY right? With that being said, I really cannot afford to slack for two days while I am “adjusting” like I usually do.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to  handle this?

4 thoughts to “[Pika!] The Adjustment”

1. I personally make a “to-do” list and then cross out tasks after I’ve completed them. The to-do list helps me stay really focused and on task. I’d also suggest trying to work in a quiet library (if you haven’t already). It really helps me to be surrounded by people who are trying to work!

2. Yeah, I make to-do lists to, and then I try to forget about how overwhelmed I am and just pick one thing to focus on.

Also, I’ve become a big proponent of freewriting (http://mgunby.wikispaces.com/file/view/Freewriting.pdf) lately, and I think that helps too. I think about one assignment I have to do and then I try to keep that in mind as I write without stopping for ten minutes. I let myself get off track, but I try to bring myself back to my topic. It doesn’t matter if what I’m writing is nonsense (a lot of it is) because the process eases me into thinking about the assignment without having to focus too much. Sometimes you’ll actually write one or two solid, interesting sentences that give you direction, and other times you don’t. Either way, it’s a starting point.

I don’t know if that makes sense. It might not work for everyone, but I was surprised at how well it works for me.

Good luck!

3. I have this same problem! What normally causes my lack of productivity is because after being home I get excited about going back so what I like to do is use it as motivation. I have a giant white board in my room that consumes an entire wall and after break I wrote everything that I had to do in each class before the end of the semester and just started to get to work on it. My advice is to do something like that. Find why you are unmotivated, excitement about some aspect of being home? and use it to motivate you.

4. I experience the exact same thing. I try to avoid thinking about how much what I’m working on counts and just how poorly I could do on it and still get a good grade in the class. If I think about that I spend time figuring out how badly I could do which is just wasting time and only discourages me from working even more. I just think in terms of “this needs to be done, no exceptions.”