[Pika!] Why Write?

I am curious to hear why each of you decided to become a writing minor.  Personally, I did not know the program existed until second semester of last year when a student in one of the writing minor classes came to speak to my English 225 class.  I was really excited that there was a program available that lined up so well with my interests.  While I am unsure of what my future career will be, I would like it to incorporate writing in some way. I was actually very disappointed to find out that The University of Michigan does not offer a journalism program.  I mean Michigan State has one…..come on! After that realization I decided to combine the Communications major with the Writing minor in hopes that it would be somewhat comparable to a journalism program.

I think the skills I am developing in the gateway course are applicable to nearly everyone of my classes, as well as my general thinking.  For the first time in my academic career, I am focusing on the process of writing, not just the final product.  This class certainly raises the bar for writing classes. In your opinion, what has been the greatest skill that you have developed in the Writing 220 gateway class?

2 thoughts to “[Pika!] Why Write?”

1. Hey, great post! I think that the minor in writing is an excellent opportunity for me to continue my writing outside of my major. Unfortunately, the business program at Michigan does not give much of an opportunity for writing and the minor has filled in that gap. Also, during high school, I served as co-editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper and I loved writing challenging articles that got people to think differently about important issues. The flexibility that the minor in writing offers means that I can essentially write about any important topic. So far, it has been a great experience.

2. I decided to get a minor in writing because while my major isn’t English I still wanted to improve my writing skills. I might also one day work in a writing-related field. Even if I don’t work in a field directly connected with writing I know that having good writing skills will be helpful in any field.