Response to Readings

I’ve chosen to elaborate on one interesting thought/commentary from each of the three readings.

Reading 1:

The following quote resonates with my own writing process: “The most engaging writers are almost invariably those who pay the closet attention to the real people – specialists and nonspecialists- colleagues and strangers- in whose ears their own words will echo.” I have always been told that the best writers can predict what their readers will be thinking. This way, you can answer their questions as they arise. I love when I have a question while reading a piece that is very soon after answered. It is helpful to be in sync with an author and employ the say thinking progression.

Reading 2:

I appreciate the metephor of a sentence being like a bridge, or if written poorly, like a log. The imagery emphasizes the linear and logical progression while reading a piece of work – you go from the beginning of one sentence to the end of it, and moving on once understood. If you can’t get through a sentence, it is easy to miss the larger picture of the work. Therefore, we need to eliminate the clutter in sentences and always be clear.

Reading 3:

I agree with the author that a title is equivalent to a first impression. I think of newspapers, magazines, academic journals, etc., and can’t help but start my evaluation of the piece by how its information is captured by a sentence or a mere couple of words. I always find myself balancing my titles between engaging the reader and informing them. I’ve recently learned from my English 225 class that often times two-tiered titles allow you to do both effectively. I like having the first line as something catchy and witty, and then in the second line providing more specifics.

Overall, all three of these readings provide fundamental writing advice that I believe all writers ought to follow.

3 thoughts to “Response to Readings”

1. Great, Alexis! Love the structure of this post, and the way you’re exploring each tidbit through the lens of your own approaches/beliefs.

Also, the one you raise in the 2nd section makes me wonder how we might translate the idea there from words on the page to new media writing…?

One thing: Maybe provide some context for folks in other classes/cohorts?

2. I am all about the two-tiered title…the title has to be both informative and eye-catching…an impossible task for a 1-tiered title! Do you have any especially funny/creative/engaging titles from past papers that you can post??

this one was from my English 298 class…not sure how effective it really is but pretty funny to look back on now:

“SurReal World, Maple Rock: Surrealism in Please Don’t Come Back from the Moon”

3. “If you can’t get through a sentence, it is easy to miss the larger picture of the work.”

And to continue the metaphor–If you can’t get through a sentence, it’s easy to fall off the log and go splashing into the water! Much more avoidable if you had just taken the bridge… (i.e. written a clear sentence)

Amy, I like your title. Helen Sword would have been proud of you for using the colon correctly!