(PIKA!) Poetry Blog

For my poetry class, I was asked to create a blog that documented how media played a role in how America saw the Cambodian genocide versus how they heard about Kony 2012. There were three of us in the group total, and we named our blog Media in the Modern World. The posts on our blog pages, in my opinion, are interesting and informative. We agreed that each blog page should include visuals and word content and each group member worked hard to find the posts and explain their significance. My favorite post is entitled, “Poetry of the Cambodia Killing Field” from November 13, 2012. This post highlights a New York Times article entitled “From Misery to Flight: A Cambodian Soars Through His Poetry”. The article gives the historical background of the rise of the Khmer Rouge and Cambodian Killing Fields through the personal accounts of Mr. U Sam Oeur, and also provides excerpts of poems from the “Sacred Vows”, a collection of translated poems he formulated in his mind throughout the genocide. I found this post to be pertinent to our class because it is an example of poetry’s power to convey feelings and information, while also demonstrating the art form as a means of escape. I am amazed that during a time when writing was forbidden, Mr. U Sam Oeur was able to create and record poems via memory. Overall, I found that although initially I was apprehensive about the project because I knew so little about blogging and poetry, I really learned a lot and was proud of the overall product. Have you ever been in a class and felt this way after completing an assignment?

One thought to “(PIKA!) Poetry Blog”

1. That sounds like a really interesting project! Yeah I’ve definitely had projects like that where I felt like I learned a lot. I had to translate a large piece of writing into English for a class once and it really helped me to appreciate how hard of a job translators have. I don’t think I became a top-notch translator from doing it but it opened my eyes to the many difficulties involved in translating.