Masters > Schoolwork

It’s almost April, and that means it’s that glorious time once more: The Masters. For some reason I grew up without ever really watching professional sports, even if I played them. Basketball, baseball, soccer, football could never really hold my attention, but I could watch golf for hours. The main attraction, of course, was Tiger Woods. Personal indiscretions aside, he has always been my favorite athlete, and by far the most interesting person to watch. However, the Masters’ allure certainly comes with a price.

Whether by simple chance, the timing, or the cruel spite of some higher power, the Masters always falls right in the middle of exams or when I have a ton of papers due. Every year I tell myself that I’ll make sure to get everything done before then, and I don’t. Every year I tell myself I can just check in occasionally, and do my homework for most of it. I don’t. Every year, I tell myself I’ll just do it Sunday when Tiger’s not on. I don’t. As a result, I find myself with hours of homework and studying to do when the Master’s finally ends on Sunday night. And it’s not exactly easy to focus at that point….the Masters requires some pretty serious emotional investment, and even Tiger can’t win every single one (especially of late).

Yet I soldier on, with my subpar work and my addiction to what has been widely touted as one of the least exciting sports other than curling. However, its often worth it for moments like these.

3 thoughts to “Masters > Schoolwork”

1. Hi Luke,
    I’m not a big fan of golf, but my dad plays golf (and insisted I take lessons when I was younger), and my mom watches golf on TV religiously. I know you avoided talking about Tiger’s personal life- but I’d be interested to hear what you think of him now. As an avid sports fan and frequent reader of sports journalism, I’ve come to realize that almost everyone has their own opinion about the whole Tiger situation. Did he deserve the beating he took from the press? Did he not get enough criticism? Would you still consider him a positive role model for young boys (especially african american boys)? Since you’re such an enthusiast, I love to hear what you have to say!
    Matilda

2. I grew up with parents who golfed on occasion, and a little sister who got a hole-in-one on a par 3, 87 yard-er, got her name in the paper then decided it wasn’t for her (yeah, she went out on top, I’d say), but I’d never really though much about it. Not until a professional golf event literally turned my neighborhood into a “VIP” zone, did my interest peak. I grew up just off of Oakland Hills Country Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, and since we didn’t belong there – I’d go on occasion with a family who lived down my street when I babysat their two little girls – I didn’t know what a big deal it was. But when OHCC hosted the Ryder Cup in 2004, I quickly learned.

First of all, golfers were approaching homes in our neighborhood that they were looking to rent while they were in town. We never took up any offers (we did make a few bucks though letting spectators park in our driveway), but a few of our neighbors did, so it made sense of the fact that our family was required to have passes to get into our subdivision. It was a real pain for my friends who wanted to come over as there literally were police officers blockading each end of Gilbert Lake Road, where you could find the entrance to the North Course.

I think because of the hassle, we were given a couple passes for the final day of the tournament, which included access to the biggest, most luxurious tent I’ve ever laid eyes on. I went with my Dad, and that was when I developed an appreciation for golf. Maybe it was the team competition aspect, maybe the smell of the grass and the balmy mid-September weather, maybe the oddly entertaining spectator etiquette: dead silence, then the whack of the drive, and the repressed rowdiness ensues. But that was when I began appreciating the game of Golf, and though I don’t watch it regularly either, I always watch The Masters. Here’s hoping that the workload is light for all that week!

As for the matter of Mr. Woods – I’m certainly not condoning his behavior, but at the same time, it’s not unique. Millions of other men have committed the same “crimes” and the only reason their faces aren’t splattered across every magazine and TV screen is because they’re not arguably one of the best golfers in the history of the game. But, I think people who are at that elite level of scrutiny must realize the price of fame. I understand why they say you should never meet your heroes… or maybe, we should just realize that even our “heroes” are still human.

3. Luke,
    This post caught my eye because I have watched The Masters every year since I can remember, and this year will be no different. It sometimes falls on Easter weekend, and when I was younger this was always my spring break. I was on vacation with my whole family and all the men (and myself) would gather around the TV in someone’s hotel room while the women in the family complained that we were wasting the day watching TV instead of enjoying the sun. But, we didn’t care. I especially love Sunday with Tiger in his predictable red shirt.

I am from Grand Blanc, Michigan, and we used to have the PGA Tour Buick Open come to the golf course I live on. It was the highlight of my summer, and how I came to love golf. My friends and I would stand at the tee boxes and hope that a player would toss us a spare golf ball or their tee. My biggest accomplishment was getting Phil Mickelson’s golf ball – a Titleist number 2 with a black dot above the 2.

I don’t get to golf as much anymore, and I wish I did. Golf is a sport I will play for the rest of my life. The Masters is something I will enjoy watching the rest of my life as well. It truly is “A Tradition Like No Other.”