It’s almost here: Blockbuster Season!

Piggybacking on my previous post, I thought I’d continue to daydream about the looming summer vacation, and all the while, gather me some points.

So I write for The Michigan Daily Arts section, and specifically for Film. We’re a pretty tight knit bunch of writers. We call ourselves “Film Squad.” No, not “The” Film Squad, just plain, old “Film Squad.” Kinda how Facebook was originally “The” Facebook, until Sean Parker was all, “Nah, man. It’s just ‘Facebook.'” Anyways… we also have our own FB group, aptly titled, “Film Lounge.”

Today was our second to last meeting of the year, and everyone is chomping at the bit to shotgun what big movies of the summer they want to review, as there’s quite the comprehensive list.

Here’s a preview of what you should NOT miss (nearly all trailers included):

May 3 – Iron Man 3 – RDJ back again as the lovable, cocky, adorable Tony Stark. If I could, I’d buy my ticket now.

May 10 – The Great Gatsby – It’s about time Leo got some love from the Academy, especially after going unnoticed for Calvin Candie (though I was elated that Christoph Waltz brought home the gold). Perhaps, this is his chance. Plus, where the hell has Tobey Maguire been hiding?

May 17 – Star Trek: Into Darkness – If you haven’t seen Sherlock, you must. Now (it’s on Netflix). Right now. Stop studying. Stop reading this, even. You’ll thank me.

May 24 – The Hangover: Part III – To be honest, I didn’t see the second one, but there really wasn’t much else on the docket for this week.

May 31 –  The Purge – The premise for this film is NUTS. One night a year, all crime is legal. As in, you can go kill 100 people and it’s all good. Plus, Ethan Hawke as the protective dad – awww.

June 7 – After Earth – Three words: I. Am. Legend. After that, I was convinced that Will Smith can do no wrong. And his son is in this too.

June 14 – Man of Steel – Never seen one Superman movie. Maybe it’s about time? Nice touch with Kevin Costner too. He’s good in roles like this.

June 21 – World War Z – Brad Pitt back in action, saving the world from a crap-load of zombies. Played out premise, but I’ll watch anything with BRAD.

June 28 – White House Down – That goes for Channing Tatum as well…

July 3 – The Lone Ranger – J. Depp (haven’t seen him in a hot minute) and Armie Hammer team up to take on a classic.

July 5 – The Way, Way Back – Looks like this is about to be the feel-good movie of the year, with an insane cast to boot. (And it’s my birthday day woooo!)

July 12 – Pacific Rim – “We are going to cancel the Apocalypse!”

July 19 – R.I.P.D. – Couldn’t find the trailer but google it – Bridges looks PRIME.

July 26 – The Wolverine  – Hugh Jackman is the ultimate man, and even though I’m not really all that keen on another X-Men movie about Wolverine (because… well.. they already made one…), I will go see this. Maybe twice.

August 2 – 2 Guns – Denzel and Wahlberg being bad asses. What else is new?

August 9 – Elysium – Matt Damon

August 16 – Paranoia – Again, no dice on the trailer, but Harrison Ford + Gary Oldman = dreamiest old dudes you’ll ever lay eyes on (and for those of you with less sophisticated taste, you can have Liam Hemsworth).

August 23 – The World’s End  – If you loved Shaun of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz, then this, my friend, is for YOU.

August 30 – One Direction: This is Us – These are quite possible the five cutest male specimens to ever exist, and made it cool again to be in a boy band.

So, what films are you excited to see this summer? Which one do you think will take the #1 spot at the box office?

Carly Keyes

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than 'good job.'" (Whiplash)

4 thoughts to “It’s almost here: Blockbuster Season!”

1. I’m definitely most excited about seeing the Hangover. Although unfortunately it almost certainly won’t reach the bar that the first movie set (if the second movie is any indication), I’m still extremely hyped about seeing it. There’s something about hyped up sequels that get to me. Between the combination of loving the first movie, really liking the cast, and anticipating what can possibly happen in the next movie, I never pass up on seeing the sequel to a movie that I really enjoyed. It’s funny how the name and hype to a movie alone can generate such an amazing box office, even when the reviews are poor and the critics are all over. I guess it just goes to show how strong the affinity is that people develop for particular movies and casts. The names and faces alone definitely go a long way.

2. Ahh yes, it is that time again! I don’t go to the movies all that often, but I certainly frequent the theater much more in the summer time. When there’s not a lot to do and so many movies coming out, how can you not? The trailer that stood out to me most was The Purge. It gave me an eerie, uncomfortable feeling that makes me want to see it.

What strikes me most about The Purge is the idea of the movie. One night a year where all crime is legal?! That’s insane! (But really interesting to think about.) What might stop me from seeing this in theaters is the fact that I am a huge scaredy-cat, and those masks are definitely topping the creepy list. However, I really love when books or movies create these interesting worlds that are similar to the one we live in, but with a twist. It kind of reminds me of The Hunger Games in that sense. Although it is made by the people who make scary movies I refuse to see, I might have to make an exception for this one.

Aside from that, I have been waiting since December to see The Great Gatsby. I was so disappointed that they moved back the date, but now maybe I’ll get the chance to read the book again. I will also probably end up seeing the Hangover III, because even though there’s no way it will compare to the first, it will surely be entertaining.

3. Your post got me so excited for summer movies! I am not quite sure of my summer plans just yet, but when I am in my hometown, I always go to the movies because it is one of the only things to do. Not that I am complaining, I love going. They have this really cool pop machine where you can add different flavors, it’s awesome.
    But anyways, on to the movies. I am definitely most excited to see The Great Gatsby. I am planning to go see it the day it comes out because I can’t wait. This is one of the books I read in 10th grade that I absolutely loved, and although I find movies to not be as good as their books, I have a feeling this will be fantastic. And Leo? What’s not to love?

Also, 2 Guns. I do not know much about it but I see it has Denzel and Wahlberg…I am already obsessed.

4. I love going to the movies so much, it’s one of my absolute favorite things to do. Thankfully, this summer has a TON of great movies coming out. Iron Man 3, The Wolverine, and World War Z are going to be awesome. The Great Gatsby looks sooo good, I’m sure it will be a million times better than the Redford one.
    Pacific Rim is so hilariously over-the-top actiony that I can’t wait. I love that the plot is: we’re being attacked by a giant monster so let’s build an even MORE GIANT ROBOT to fight them.
    The World’s End is something that I have been looking forward to for a long time – the other two films in the Cornetto trilogy are fricking hilarious, and I’m sure this one will be just as good. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are brilliant, and I can’t wait to see what they’ve come up with. Also, I think Martin Freeman and another couple famous British favorites are going to be in it as well.
    However, the film I want to see most is by far Star Trek: Into Darkness. When I saw the first one, I had my doubts. I figured it would be corny and too science-fictiony, but it was just AWESOME. Kirk was a total badass, Spock was perfect, and the music was great. In the new one, the bad guy is Benedict Cumberbatch?? I love Sherlock, and he is so so good in it. I think the way he talks and acts – that slow, confident tone – is perfectly suited to a villain, and I think he’s going to kill it.

Also, yesterday I saw a trailer for Grown Ups 2, which is coming out in July. I know Adam Sandler’s movies aren’t exactly people’s favorites at the moment, but I actually thought the first one was hilarious. So, I think that’s definitely got my vote for the guilty pleasure flick of the summer.