Next Year, Next Year, Next Year.

When it comes to doing serious writing, I have often felt as though “it’s not time yet.” I’m still a student, so I’ll grind it out, do my work here and start really writing when I graduate. But the more that I think of it lately, the more I want to get after it. There have been so many times when I think that I’m too bogged down with schoolwork during the year to do any writing, and that I’ll just do it when I have time. But I’ve had time before. Last summer. The summer before that. The summer before that. Three, four months when I could have been doing serious work. But I didn’t, because for some reason I felt as though I had to get to a certain point in my writing education before I could start dabbling in real work.

I’m going to be a senior next year. I’ve got one more summer, one more year before I am completely done with school. That’s not a lot of time, especially considering the investment needed for a serious writing project. I really don’t have time to waste, and the sooner I get on this, the better. If I want to write for my career, I’m going to have to get started right away. I can’t go back to living with my parents for another few years before things get rolling, I have to hit the ground running. That means I need to have something to get me going by the time I graduate, that first complete project that will show me than I can do it.

Writing is not some magical, unique talent that you’re either born with or without. While it’s true that some people are more naturally gifted than others, there is still a tremendous amount of work to be done in order to produce good writing. So, if I want to be a good writer, a great writer, then I’m going to have to write. This summer, this upcoming year, have to be different. This summer I’m planning on doing my first real, major project. I’ve had a few ideas kicking around in my head, a few documents with ideas and details that I want to write about “but didn’t have the time for.” Well I’m going to make time for them, and have something to show for it.

But I’m sure that I’m not alone in this position. Everyone has those ideas, those plans, those ambitions. It’s tough to get yourself started, and easy to think that you have plenty of time. But, as many people will tell you, the time flies by incredibly quickly. You can’t be afraid to get going, you have to go after your goals if you want to be successful.