Summer Plans

Ah…summer vacation. The beginning of four whole months of nothing but days of sleeping in till noon and sitting in front of the TV for as long as you want. There are no tests, no all-nighters, and no finals,  just endless realization.  At first, it feels like a dream come true, but I am sure most of us have felt the summer lag – when the lackadaisical summer becomes too much and you actually find yourself missing the hustle and bustle of school life. For a long time I just waited out the summer lag by fantasizing about the upcoming school year (kinda ironic because I tend to spend most of the school year fantasizing about the upcoming summer).

However last summer I discovered the perfect way to avoid the summer lag – making plushies to sell. I know it sounds a bit weird, but to my surprise this has shown not not only be an enjoyable activity, but a profitable one as well. The plushies I make are fan art from the show My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic.  The show is quite popular right now, and fans are willing to pay a mighty sum for custom-made plushies of the characters. I can’t blame the fans though, fan-made plushies can be very cute and very high-quality. Making plushies kept me from having to have a full-time job last summer, and I am hoping that I can make this summer even more profitable. I have new and improved plush patterns, and a summer’s worth of experience in sewing under my belt. I already have a list of sewing projects I want to make to sell, but then again, I think right now I should focus on surviving finals before thinking about the summer.

One thought to “Summer Plans”

1. Hi Lauren!
    I can totally relate to your feelings about summer! During the school year, when I have had enough of doing homework and studying for tests (usually this feeling happens around January), all I can think about is when I will get to relax again. But, summer can be boring at times.
    This summer, I might not be as bored as usual. When I was younger, summer was truly about doing nothing and having fun. But now I will hopefully have an internship and relaxation might be missing from my life once again. I am welcoming the opportunity with open arms though, I have to grow up at some point!
    I remember you telling me about your plushies in one of our small group meetings. I think that is so awesome that you have turned it into a way to make money! The picture you showed me of one was really cool. I hope you have a successful and fun summer selling plushies and getting to do everything else you love! 🙂