I am of Pixels and Not Playtime

Imagine a tragic tale of a group of actors, once beloved by millions, undertake a historic fall from grace.  These performers performers were subject to public humiliation, accusations of homosexuality and have been removed from the public spotlight for years.  The story-arc that I have described for the most part isn’t completely out of the ordinary, but who am I really talking about?  The TeleTubbies of course.

Last year, I was taking English 223: Creative Writing, and I was asked to recreate a childhood character in a poetry exercise in a new light.  My poem’s goal was to highlight an unhighlighted history of these past beloved children show characters.  I thought of what a Teletubby might look like years after his demise from stardom.   The once physically fit performer with a trim television stomach has now grown fat and boasts a large wide screen on his chest.  In denial of his current situation as a rented television set, the star looks at the eyes watching him and mistakes them for those he entertained years ago.  He is not an appliance.  He is an actor, a visionary.  But one day, he realizes his worth and the reality of the situation he is.  Its over…

Static in their stomachs... Where are they now!?!
Static in their stomachs… Where are they now!?!

Yes, I know it’s ridiculous… but the word reality when completing this poem stuck with me.  I was fascinated diving into the world of hypotheticals in analyzing these child stars, yet I think I can go deeper.  For my repurposing project, I plan to write an essay that offers both a socio economic analysis and psychoanalysis of these characters and the effects of their demise and homosexuality, under the assumption if they were humans and real.

The end result, ideally, will be an essay that completes and satisfies my crazy analysis of these fuzzy children show stars.

Ryan Hayes

I hail from the hidden gem of the midwest Chanhassen, Minnesota home of Prince, Buffalo Wild Wings and cornfields. While my home clings to my identity leaving a perception of a faux-canadian with a hockey addiction, let me redefine myself: I am a person that is actively balancing nostalgia and thoughts of tomorrow in search of being in the now. I am an aspiring, young professional who needs to learn to shave more frequently. I am a personality, a voice and a perspective.

4 thoughts to “I am of Pixels and Not Playtime”

1. This is a really interesting topic choice. I’m excited to read your paper because it could give some insight into the characters post show and because it is a very unique subject matter. I’m curious to who this would be written for, would it be for people interested in the characters, people studying psychology, or someone interested in what happens to a actor after fame? Also, how do you plan on going about analyzing them?

2. I’m excited to see how you do this. Repurposing a poem into an essay will give you ample research opportunities.

I am unsure from your description whether the essay will retain a creative writing character or be strictly analytical (or a blend of the two)?

3. Wow.. this sure is an interesting topic if I’ve ever seen one. Turning a poem into an essay seems like a good way to go about this, but I do have one question – who do you think your audience is going to be? Seems like it would be academics interested in this kind of socio-economic and psychoanalysis. Having a kind of fictional twist on an academic topic might put this into a new genre entirely, but I’m not sure what format would best suit your topic… sounds like something you could make a cool fictional story about, but I’m not sure if that’s allowed 😛