The Different Types of Blogs

Being a person that very frequently browses blogs and even keeps her own, I can say that blogs differ incredibly based on where you look for them. As an avid Tumblr user, I’m exposed to hundreds of blogs every day, though Tumblr blogs tend to be a bit different than the traditional blog you may search for online. An example of a more traditional blog that I follow would be the blog of my favorite writer, Patrick Rothfuss.

Pat writes mostly for his readers in order to keep them updated on his writing, his projects, and his life in general. With his purpose being keeping his readers updated, the audience is clearly defined as anyone interested in his writing or various other projects. On the blog, it is common for Pat to recount his experiences at signings and conventions as well as to announce tour dates. On a more personal level he also frequently shares amusing stories about his young son as well as any fanmail or art that catches his eye.

While that probably isn’t the most interesting subject for those of you that have never heard of the man, I think it’s important to make a distinction between his type of more formal blog as opposed to the ones you would find on sites like Tumblr. While Pat’s posts are usually pretty wordy and give useful information about his life and work, the majority of the blogs I follow tend to be less informational and a lot more personal. Tumblr is designed in a way that encourages photos and videos to be posted, so that when there are text posts on blogs, they tend to be very short. While those bloggers with large followings would probably tend to write more and have a clear audience, blogs on Tumblr tend to be places to express the self rather than to cater to a certain group of people.

Those that steer clear of blogs or blogging sites might be surprised or interested in the fact that even within blogging itself reside different types of blogs and bloggers, ranging from incredibly informal personal blogs to blogs that cater to a specific audience or even those that are solely created as a diary for the blogger themselves. It will be interesting to see the evolution of blogging in the future and whether it continues on a track to become more and more informal and personal.

Sarah Rybak

I'm a junior Comm major with special interests in gender, gaming, and new media in terms of how people interact through it with each other.

One thought to “The Different Types of Blogs”

1. I love Tumblr! I think it’s cool because its not the conventional blog that people think of. Filled with pictures and videos, I think tumblr is an awesome way to express oneself without the need to explain emotions or feelings through text