Crunch Time

The thing that has been particularly stressful to me this semester has been actually finding the time to sit down and write.  Actually write.  In the past, I feel like I’ve been able to carve out time to enjoy my writing — to plan ahead, revise, and take my time — but this year, not so much.  Especially when it comes to a project like our Re-Purposing assignment, which is totally interesting, I wish that I had made better choices and had more time to do what I want to do.  (But there is time to turn in revised drafts, which is great!)

As for the assignment, I’m writing a kind of essay that is designed for college freshmen at U of M, which has been interesting to write.  My problems have been that

1.  I haven’t had enough time to write a quality first or second draft, so I have a ton of work to do revising and editing the paper to sound the way I want it to

and

2.  I’m still conflicted about how I want my tone to sound.  The paper that I’m basing my structure off of is very much a professional article with lots of facts and data — but I don’t think that would be the most effective way to reach my audience.  So right now I’m torn between writing to reach an audience in a more colloquial (but still professional) style, or going a completely different direction and using my “model article” to try a new style of more academic writing.

And what’s worse is that it’s crunch time, so I have to make a decision — quick!

One thought to “Crunch Time”

1. I started reading this post and forgot to look at who is why by. After reading a little bit of it I knew it was you!

I feel the same way about needing time to write. I feel like I never have time for it anymore and its something that really soothes me, and makes me feel like I am working towards something. I’ve been trying to write in my journal every night (unsuccessfully…) but it does help.

Try sitting down in bed and planning to write like 2 things about your day or something else on your mind. Sometimes it ends up being more, but thats not bad!