Experience at Sweetland

This week I had to write a 4-5 page paper for English 360, The Rise of the Novel. The paper posed a particularly difficult challenge for me because we were not given a prompt or any information besides the page requirement from our teacher.

I was to write on the novel Tom Jones, one of the first novels every written–not exactly my favorite genre. And without a specific path to go on, I was at a loss for where to start. So I decided to watch the movie, classic college student reaction. At first, it was just to go over the plot of the book. But then I realized, why not write a paper about the novel and the movie?

Working with the many different forms of writing and media through out Writing 220 class has given me a new perspective on the way and things that you can write about. I no longer feel boxed in to a simple 5 paragraph essay analyzing symbolism.

Furthermore, I took my mixed up, shitty rough draft into the Sweetland Center for Writing to be reviewed, as I felt my ideas were all of the place and I knew I could do better. I had the most amazing experience.

Now, I’m not just saying this because I’m in the minor. I used to say that after every experience I had freshman and sophomore year as well. I always feel like the instructors help me to reach the argument and style that was already in my brain, but just not quite there yet. My appointment really inspired me to continue working on my writing and change up my style.