Portfolio Beginnings…

So here’s the problem I see happening as I begin to create my Gateway portfolio — I have all of these visions for how I want it to look, but I am extremely technology-challenged.   In looking at all of the awesome pages that I’ve found not only from past cohorts but also just ones that I’ve stumbled across on the internet, I feel like the challenge for me is going to be forcing myself to not spend hours and hours trying to perfect the way a picture looks or the style of tabs at the top of the page.  I think I need to set realistic expectations for how this portfolio is going to look and turn out.

Also, I don’t know if anyone else is feeling this way, but I feel like I’m probably focusing too much on the look of the page instead of the content — something I am just now realizing as I write this blog post.  While first impressions are important, I think I’m going to start exploring some more content-based additions (hopefully ones that are easy to add to a portfolio) instead of just focusing on layout and aesthetic appeal.  Hmmm… now to explore some more….

One thought to “Portfolio Beginnings…”

1. I definitely feel the same about content vs. style, I keep getting excited about how to customize mine without really thinking about my actual vision of what I want an outsider to really gain. I think it’s also good to remember that what we’re looking at in past e-portfolios and websites all over the place are a final product and probably went through so many stages of revision (just like writing…I never remember that the books I love weren’t always as perfect as I see them), plus so many sites are built by outsourced designers/web developers and don’t happen overnight or for free. So I think we’ll be okay 🙂