Strategy

I am an emotional person so it would only make sense that I am an emotional writer. I write how I feel. I am candid and real and from what I hear, I do a good job at getting my audience’s attention. I have had some bizarre things happen to me in my short life, but you’d be surprised to know how many people like to read about bizarre. When I put my story on paper and I write about these startling and rare circumstances, like the loss of my voice for some unknown reason, I capture my audience’s curiosity. I write about things that no one else can write about and that is my most important writing strategy.

I have never written anything of fiction. I like to think of myself as a creative person, but I have never attempted to write a made-up story. I am a big believer in truth, the simultaneous power and vulnerability that truth can provide. I am sure that at some point in my writing career I will create something of fiction but I think my writing is effective because it is filled with such raw honesty. If I write with vivid words and imagery, it is not because I have an incredible imagination, it is because my memory is sharp. As I recall and hone in on all of the little details, the important aspects of my recollection come to life.

3 thoughts to “Strategy”

1. Its funny because I guess you can say that I’m an emotional person, though I hate admitting it..so props for being so straightforward about that! I only tend to get emotional with my writing. I think truth is very powerful, more powerful than most things in the world. There is no need to change your strategy because I think in the long run everyone just longs for the truth and to hear something they can relate or empathize with. Real cool!

2. I think it’s great that you’re really raw and emotional with your writing, because that’s definitely something that can be hard for a lot of people (myself included) to achieve. It’s interesting that you haven’t ever tried writing anything fictional at all. Do you think that maybe if you were to do some fiction writing you might draw on your own personal experiences or vivid memories to make the fictional stuff interesting and “fake”, but also honest? I feel like a lot of fiction writers draw on truth and reality to inform their stories and to make sure that even fictional stories are ingrained with universal truths. I bet you could write a really good fiction piece sometime drawing on reality.

3. That’s really interesting to me, because I think a lot of students are in the habit putting a big emotional distance between themselves and their writing. I personally often feel pressure to write with not so much emotion both in order to be taken more seriously and because that’s how my mind operates, but I think that it’s a shame that emotion is discouraged in school writing. Ignoring the inevitable subjectivity of the writer doesn’t actually make the piece objective, and spoils a lot of potential for excitement in writing! Have your teachers ever discouraged that emotional kind of writing?