In The Midst of All Our Remediating Excitement…

My semester seems to be working in waves. A couple weeks ago I was swamped with tests and papers, right now I have an abundance of free time, and in another week or so I’ll be swamped once again. So last night, instead of preparing for my future work,  I obviously caught up on a couple of tv shows, scrolled through Facebook, and even cleaned my room. Then around 10 pm I sat on my bed and realized…I couldn’t think of anything to do. I’ve been a night owl for years so going to bed was out of the question. I scanned my room for ideas and my eyes fell on the The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, a book I had started over spring term and immediately abandoned at the start of the semester.

As I started to get back into it I remembered how nice it feels to engulf yourself in a story, get to know the characters, and flip the smooth pages of a paperback book — not a blog, not a website, not an animated video — but an actual, tangible, book. In the midst of all these exciting new tech challenges and discussions about digital rhetoric there is something to be said about stopping and remembering the feeling of sitting technology-free and just relaxing with a good book.

Not to mention, if you haven’t heard of The Art of Fielding I am here to tell you it’s amazing! I was a bit unsure about it when I originally read the back, but I’m about half way through now and I love it so far. It’s Harbach’s first novel and his style of writing is engaging and exciting. He jumps nicely from character to character, and will end a chapter with a cliffhanger about one character and then make you wait several chapters until you get to read about the topic again. It’s sort of similar to the TV show Friday Night Lights in the sense that it’s based around sports (baseball, not football) but really there is so much more too it regarding the characters and relationships.

Check it out if you’re interested:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Fielding-A-Novel/dp/0316126691