Teching up the Eportfolio

As I was trying to figure out how to present information in different ways through digital means, I kept stumbling on more and more types of expression. My Eportfolio has expanded quite a lot in the last few days. It’s also begun to include information I hadn’t at first intended to incorporate.

One of the things I wish I had done more this summer was keep an ongoing journal, documenting places, people, memories so I wouldn’t forget the amazing experiences I had traveling Europe. Before I forgot, I decided to make it a part of my Eportflio, under the section “Watch”, to get people and myself, to see again my summer as dominated by pictures.

Spain is captured in a slideshow, France is portrayed by speech bubbles and pictures, Portugal is presented as a collage. As I was experimenting with how to describe these places and how to illustrate the memories, sometimes, I realize, a picture really is the most powerful thing. I can talk about a place for hours, but the picture will show it in seconds. Whether it was walking through Spanish streets on the way to class at 9am or walking Parisian streets at midnight, the picture really is worth a thousand words.

So as I develop this portfolio further, I’m using my travels as the basis for visual and digital expression, supported by brief and highlighting words. My stories will capture the mood of the picture, or the background of the location, but the picture will speak for itself on the beauty, the architecture, and the experience. This actually fits in so well with the theme of my portfolio too. The message is all about slowing down, appreciating the time we have, and really valuing our experiences. Looking back, my summer passed so quickly, and was so amazing, that I wish I had taken the time to sit down and capture it as it happened. One of my cameras actually broke on the trip and I lost a good deal of my pictures. There really is no better place to store experiences than our memories, and so developing these memories is the best form of record taking that I can think of. As I put these pictures up, I’m reminding myself again how important it is to value the moment because days, months, years later, it could have been one of the best moments in memory.

The link to my portfolio, if anyone is interested: http://beixili.wix.com/livelaughloveshare

6 thoughts to “Teching up the Eportfolio”

1. Beixi, this is a great idea! I really like that your adding pictures and the brief highlighting words. I think you’re right- pictures will probably explain the beauty of each of the places you mentioned really well. Also, I think pictures tend to get readers more engaged with writing. I know when I read magazine articles, I’ll remember written content a lot better when the article has a picture. Good thinking, and good luck.

2. I just checked out your e-portfolio and I love the Paris page with the speech bubbles and images! I was a little bit confused on the whole “web writing” thing, so it was definitely a great example to help clarify. I completely agree about the added benefit of using images in the portfolio. I decided to use images for my about me section, it seems like a much more effective way to show the reader who I am.

3. Hey Beixi!

I am absolutely in love with the layout of your e-portfolio! It’s really awesome and my favorite part is your non-traditional section labels.

I’m also really excited to see all of your travel pictures. I’ve always wanted to travel, but have never found the time to do so. I think what you’ve got going here is going to make yours really stand out to our cohort and future cohorts when they are searching for inspiration.

4. Your portfolio is beautiful! Being able to look through all of your experiences across the world is great, and so is your varying use of images throughout the portfolio. It seems like your theme is about slowing down and enjoying the world around you, and being able to keep these experiences as memories through writing/images. Your portfolio really makes me want to use Wix for mine instead of WordPress..

5. Your photos are gorgeous! I especially love how you included captions for each of the pictures. I can tell that each description is well thought out, and it’s really aesthetically pleasing. I also wanted to center my portfolio around documentation, images being one form of that. I think it creates a really coherent theme for your blog and the layout makes me want to explore all of the tabs! I’m really interested to see what you add to some of them, like “portrait” etc…It would be cool if you used that as a kind of “about me” tab or even include the contextual intro in there!

6. Beixi I know I’m the 100th person to say this, but your portfolio looks amazing. The format you used is so enticing. It makes the person looking at it want to click on whatever is behind your photos. Good call with Wix by the way. It seems all the really good portfolios I’ve looked at have been using Wix instead of wordpress.

I think your breadth of photography is incredible. The fact that these photos are all yours and look so good is so impressive to me. The captions on all your photos are poetic. This is a stunning project.