Goodbye Gateway!

I think I’m done with my portfolio. Eep! 

I’m really happy with how the portfolio turned out. I had to eventually come to terms with myself and my inability to figure out how to do anything on Word Press, and make the jump to Weebly. I’m really happy I did, because it allowed me to insert media and link images really easily, and I’m sure it saved me many, many headaches. I definitely learned that you have to pick and choose your battles. I am glad that the sections of my e-portfolio worked out well, where some of them are text heavy, others are visual, and others are in blog format. I also like how visual the project is, and how interconnected all of the links are.

I still would like to go through all of my artifacts and edit them (see my previous post on how cringe-worthy revision can be), especially if I want to use this as a writing sample for employment opportunities or connect it to my LinkedIn.  Maybe I’ll do this over Christmas break when I have something else to do. I also would edit the About Me section. I had time to change it, but literally kept drawing blanks about what I could add or change about this section. This is probably because I find it super awkward to talk about myself; seriously, my most nerve-wracking interview question is always “tell us a little bit about yourself.” I blank and stumble through it almost every time. Anyone else feeling this about their project? I just hate starting every sentence with “I am… I feel… I know… I do…”

The process of making this was frustrating at times and also quite rewarding. For my reflective essay I chose to utilize a screencast to go through all of my projects which was a new concept but also a fun way to present my writing process. I had a lot of these challenging moments followed by breakthroughs (uploading to youtube and inserting them into the project, uploading PDFs, using alternative text). I think that is what makes the writing process in general so great, these tiny moments of struggle that, with persistence, make way to less tiny moments of victory.

I think I achieved the duality I present as a writer with my portfolio, but I’d love to add to it as I go through more semesters in the Ford School and continue with my personal blog. I want people to see my academic side if they want, or my personal side if they so choose. My blog presents that option pretty well, I believe, and makes a strong case for why these two sides are actually less conflicting than one might observe at first glance.

Now if you’re anything like me, you spent the entire weekend working on the e-portfolio and watching lots and lots of football, all while neglecting your other classes. So it’s time for me to sign off, and:

A map with the quote "quit slackin' and make shit happen" on it

Good luck closing out the semester and I will see you at the portfolio showcase! 

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

3 thoughts to “Goodbye Gateway!”

1. LOVE the gifs. In terms of your “About Me” section, I feel the same way. I always feel awkward starting every sentence with “I, I, I.” So I just resorted to referring to myself in the third person. A bit weird? Maybe. But does it solve the “I” problem? Absolutely. So glad your portfolio has turned out the way you want it to!

2. Definitely agree with you and Dylan about the about me section – I find it super weird describing myself, and I feel like for everyone there’s kind of a disconnect between how we want to be perceived/how we perceive ourselves/how other people perceive us. Anyway, glad you’re happy with your portfolio and that you weebly switch worked out! PS probably making that last picture my finals week background to reprimand myself so thanks!

3. Thanks guys! I’m glad we are on the same page (puns) when it comes to the About Me section. We made it through the e-portfolio, yay! It’s been really fun blogging and working with you both, thanks for the laughs, encouragement, and helpful advice. Good luck with finals!