#techchallenge

I somehow missed the first challenge, so in this blog I’m going to talk about a few of the new technologies I used in order to complete my ReMediation project.

The first new technology I used for my project was Prezi.  Originally, I had planned to use PowerPoint to create a presentation for a guerilla marketing plan for my fictitious waffle house business; however, I had used PowerPoint countless times before, and I wanted to try something new and more challenging.  I had seen a few Prezi presentations before and I really liked the smooth, fluid transitions.  It was definitely something different when comparing it to all the PowerPoint presentations I had created and seen.  The only issue was that I had no idea how to use Prezi and put my vision on the screen.  At first, I decided to go it on my own.  I chose a rather appealing template and began adding my information.  The template was definitely nice, but it just wasn’t what I had envisioned for my ideal marketing plan presentation.  Luckily, Lynda.com was filled with a bunch of easy to follow videos ranging from how to get your Prezi started to how to customize it and make it your own.  That, coupled with the workshops we did in class, helped me to figure out Prezi and become more comfortable operating it.  As I kept working, I became more and more familiar with the ins and outs of my presentation.  I was able to create my own frames, make smooth transitions, and inset media into my presentation.  All in all, I am really happy with the way my project came out, and I think I definitely made the right decision to switch from PowerPoint to Prezi early on.  I will definitely use Prezi in the future when I need to present something.

Another form of technology I used for the first time for this project was the ScreenCast-O-Matic software Naomi used to record our meetings about our Re-Mediation.  I was unsure if I was even going to present my marketing plan, in part because I didn’t know how I was going to record it; however, Naomi suggested ScreenCast-O-Matic, ensuring me that it was easy to use.  She was right!  Besides the fact that I hate hearing my own voice, the whole process was extremely easy.  All I had to do was make the recording box wide enough to fit my whole presentation, press record, and pause it when I was finished.  Then, I just saved it as a video file and it was ready to be submitted.  I had to print out a transcript so that I could read along as I clicked through my Prezi, but luckily I didn’t have to memorize anything which made the process much easier.

Finally, I also used Photoshop to create a logo and T-shirt for my fake waffle house.  I have played around with Photoshop before, but I ‘m not that familiar with it.  I’m a little embarrassed at how long it took me to make something so simple.  My brother is a graphic design major and Queens College back in New York.  When I told him how I ended up with my final result, he explained to me how I could’ve done the same thing in a matter of two minutes.  Either way, my logo and T-shirt came out the way I wanted them too and I was still able to learn a little bit about Photoshop.

One thought to “#techchallenge”

1. I feel like we haven’t met in our little groups in forever. I had no idea you’d done so much work on your Re-Mediation. Last I heard, it was just the Prezi. I think the whole photoshop logo/t-shirt thing is probably really awesome and definitely different from the rest of the class.

I also took the longer, more difficult route of doing many of my tech ideas. I’m sure there was an easier way, but I got done what I wanted to do and it sounds like you did, too.

Anyway! I’m really excited to see your project because I think the whole guerrilla marketing sounds so cool.