A One-Woman Interview: A Guide to my Eportfolio (for now)

In order to tackle this blog post, I decided to answer these Eportfolio prompt questions in chronological order (kind of like an interview with myself). That way I don’t miss any question, while I selfishly get to work through my thought process and understanding of what is being asked of us. So let’s get started, shall we?

How do you want to present yourself as a writer?    

Uhh…just kidding. But this is definitely a though-provoking question.  I guess I want people to get a sense of who I am as a writer on my Eportfolio. So, if someone were to look at the website or read one of my pieces, they could hear my voice or grasp an idea about who I am as a person. Isn’t that the point of writing—to use your voice to convey a message? I want my Eportfolio to be honest and raw, but also playful, energetic, (and sometimes snarky) because that’s who I am as a writer.

Who is your ideal audience?                                                                                          

Ideally, I would like my audience to be anyone who can relate. Although I know in reality, the only foot traffic I’ll get will be from my mom, it would be nice if my Eportfolio attracted people my age (20s) who are interested in self-exploration and inquiry, as well as human connection, so they could read the content and relate on some level.

I also (selfishly) want my audience to consist of my future employers. Because I’m applying for internships and will soon be applying for jobs in the communications industry, I want to give my employers something tangible that they can use as a resource for samples of my writing, or anything else I decide to put up.

What are some ways your portfolio can be distinctive, both in terms of how it presents you as a writer and in terms of the media and design you employ  

Well, I think all of our Eportfolios will stand out in different ways, because we are all different people and therefore have different thoughts and opinions. I want my writing to be strong and compelling. I want to add productive content, meaning content that will move people or help a conversation progress. I want the content to be thought provoking, but also provide people with entertainment. I really would like for people to read something and go, “Woah, that’s exactly how I feel!” and then start a conversation about it. I want my writing to come from a place of passion and exude excitement and energy. That’s how I want it to stand out.

In terms of media and design, I want to keep things really simple. Personally (in some cases), I think: less is more. But I also want to use vibrant warm colors that draw people in. I will use the Free People blog as inspiration. I would like to include some sort of media element, but I’m not really good at that kind of stuff. So I guess, stay tuned for that answer?

What reading experience do you want your audience to have?

Advancements in the Internet are made every day to make the user experience easier and more convenient. As a result, I want to make my users’ experience easier and convenient for them, so they come back for more. Therefore, I want the site to be simple to navigate, with a neat and clean layout.

As for the content, I think I’m going to use pieces of writing that are both well written and contain important, thought provoking reactions. Again, I want to be able to use this Eportfolio as a conversation starter for people. I also think it will be useful to include a blog-type page within the portfolio, and outside references that I find interesting and productive (i.e. other articles or postings I find on the Internet).

How interactive do you want your portfolio to be, and to what end?            

Very! I think that’s the best part about new media. We get to talk to each other instantly and react to what we read or see. I want my audience to engage with me (because I love meeting new people), and I also want my audience to engage with each other (because I love when other people meet new people and I think if they’re all reading my Eportfolio, they must have something in common)! Therefore, I’m definitely going to add a comment app so that I can receive feedback and interact with my readers. Even though this can be dangerous because I’m not good with negative feedback, I think this can only be productive! Give the people what they want, right?

I would LOVE to add a Web 2.0 element, whether that means a Twitter feed or blog to my Eportfolio. As stated in the previous question, I think I’m going to dedicate one page to a blog, which will incorporate most of the Web 2.0 elements.

Do you want your portfolio to be organized around a guiding theme or metaphor or thesis?  Do you want subthemes or subsections?  How explicit do you want the theme or metaphor or thesis to be?  Why?                                    

Yes! But that’s not to say that my theme can’t be: in the head of Sara Berlin, ft. random thoughts and tidbits of information. So in essence, it’s scattered thoughts within a defined theme.

Okay, so maybe that won’t work. But in all seriousness, I want my theme to be self-exploration and growth, which will definitely include thoughts and inquiry about the world we live in and how we fit in. It will also cover the question of how we as individuals are part of something much bigger than us.

I’m going to go with I want to be as explicit as possible, because I like to put it all out on the table. That’s just my personality, but if people interpret the content in different ways than intended, that’s awesome, too!

What media do you want to include in your portfolio, and why?                        

As stated in a previous, I do want to include media, but I don’t know what role I want it to play. Relevant videos would be awesome, and I could definitely add songs that motivate me or make me happy. But then I think there’s a pressure to keep up with the latest trends in music, so you seem like you know what you’re talking about. That seems like a lot of pressure. Images are going to be useful, because they break up text well. I guess it will just kind of depend on each individual page.

Overall, I think I have a theme (which would be self-exploration, the desire to understand who we are and how we fit into this world—something so much greater than all of us as individuals), but I’m nervous that I won’t have relevant useful content. I really don’t want people to read the content and say “so what?” I had a blog two summers ago and I struggled with creating useful content. I think I really have to hone in on my audience and be clear with my goals for this Eportfolio. I keep wanting to ask myself, if I was the audience, what would I want to see on this website?

Eek. This is scary!

One thought to “A One-Woman Interview: A Guide to my Eportfolio (for now)”

1. Sara, I really like how you structured your thought process regarding your E-Portfolio ideas and answers to the prompt questions. The way you laid out your post question-by-question was actually really encouraging to me, as I attempted (key word) to answer them myself in my post, but inevitably got lost. I love your theme idea of self-exploration and I think you will find useful content through your writing for this class. It’ll be interesting (and helpful, I think) to have your potential theme in mind as you write your remaining blog posts, revise your Why I Write and other pieces for the class. I think your theme will probably come out implicitly through that writing. I’m on the same page with you about media…I know I want to include it and I love seeing multimedia on others’ portfolios because it draws me in and keeps me there, but I don’t know what kind of media to include or where to include it. I’m hoping that as the process unfolds my ideas will come to me. I completely agree with your “less is more” sentiment and I plan to do the same with my portfolio. I am looking forward to seeing how yours takes shape!