Crossing this Blog Post off my list

Ever since I can remember, I have loved to make lists.

Growing up, I had a hiding place in my room specifically designated for the “ultra important” ones:

my favorite colors

my best friends

reasons why I deserved a puppy

As I got a little older, the lists changed:

books I wanted to read

boys I liked

places I wanted to travel

Once I reached high school, I realized that lists were my way of compartmentalizing. My brain often felt so cluttered; jotting things down was a way of unloading some bulk. I didn’t have to think about it anymore, but I still knew it was safe somewhere, immortalized. When I see a word or quote I want to remember, I add it to a list. When I hear a name or a song I like, I add it to a list. My desk is often covered in ripped pieces of paper filled with seemingly unorganized phrases. But through the scribbles, my world becomes more structured.

The other day, I read an NPR article about why the average person is drawn to lists. The number six reason was “Making lists can help make you famous”. Apparently, Benjamin Franklin was an avid list-maker. His included, “synonyms for being drunk…and of reasons to choose an older woman as a mistress”. He also completed a list of personal virtues that he felt should define his life. The author of the article attributed much of Franklin’s fame to his many detailed lists.

While I do not see my obsessive habit turning into anything more than that, you better believe I’ve already added it to my “Ways to Get Famous” list.

images_Fotor

One thought to “Crossing this Blog Post off my list”

1. I am just like you in the sense that I love, well I don’t know if I actually love anymore but I sure do feel the need to, make lists. Every morning when I wake up I lay in my bed and make a list on my phone of my entire day. Every class I have to go to, when I am going to eat, and what homework I am hoping to eventually accomplish throughout the day. I feel the same as you, in that I have too much running through my head at any one time. Therefore, I must make a list or I will forget everything I am supposed to do.