Forever Young

For my repurposing project, I have (mostly) decided on reworking a journal entry I scribbled down before coming to college. The entry basically consists of me freaking out about the future, and rambling on about how I’ll never feel like a real adult. I remember the moment I wrote the entry, laying in my bed at 4am. There were many sleepless nights before departing on the 45 minute drive to Ann Arbor.

So, I guess I’m exploring the definition of an “adult”. What makes people feel grown up? My mom used to always tell me that she felt like an adult the day she graduated high school. To this day, I don’t feel like I’m there yet. But I do feel much closer to the proverbial “real life person” than I did when I wrote that journal entry. I’m beginning to think that adulthood doesn’t come at you in a specific moment. You don’t wake up one morning in your college dorm room and think to yourself “Wow! I’d really love to go out and get a job and pay bills and wear sensible shoes”. It’s not one thing that hits you like lightning; it’s a bunch of little things that you deal with along the way.

So far, the most shocking part of my research has been how many sources there are available for twenty-somethings. The world must agree that we are a pretty lost and confused age group. The solidarity is comforting I think.

image_Fotor
If staying in my bed all day is wrong, I don’t want to be right.