Freedom of writing

What excites me most about writing at this point in my life is the freedom of it. To be honest, I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t write. It’s exciting because I know I can write whatever I want, however I want, whenever I want and not really be wrong. It’s an independent freedom I enjoy. Its peaceful and therapeutic, it’s great to express yourself. I write a lot , weather it’s long things or short simple things, such as thoughts and feelings. My typical day consist of writing some deep, funny, or casual thoughts down in my journal. This is mainly because I like to express my feelings and this is how I go about handling my emotions and thoughts about things that happen throughout life. I basically like to write in like a journal and this is sometimes better then venting to people and a great way to gather and analyze my feelings and thoughts. However, I also like to write my thoughts and feelings on things and post them on Facebook because I like to share my feelings with friends and family, weather happy or sad, as a form of connecting to others.

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 11.34.43 PM

Here is one of the shorter simple little thing’s I have written and posted on Facebook. It’s a little poetic, sad and mushy but this was just an expression of my thoughts at the point in time. My inspiration came from my cousin, his girlfriend had just broken up with him and started dating a guy the very next day. O_o Many people were able to relate and connect to this type of feeling and thinking and that’s why I like posting honest things.

5 thoughts to “Freedom of writing”

1. Kelli,

I think it’s cool that you wrote about this. I completely agree that writing offers a liberating feeling that is not easily attained otherwise. Like you said, we have the power to write whatever we want. It is a form of speech, and a very important, personal one at that. It’s also cool being able to relate to someone else strictly off the basis of their tone and thoughts embodied in their writing. I also find it interesting that people are often more comfortable expressing themselves through words than in person. Perhaps it is because they do not to look someone else straight in the eye or that writing offer’ a certain sense of security for whatever reason, but regardless, it is obviously a very important form of expression.

2. Hi Kelli,

I completely agree with Benji, I am so glad that you chose to post about this! It is pretty undeniable that the act of writing is a liberating experience. There are so few other mediums that allow you to get in touch with yourself as an individual and really take the time to pause, slow down, and figure out what you really think about something or want to say about it. Writing allows you to be free to say whatever you want to say, whenever you want to say it. It is also freeing because it can be just for yourself or to share with others. I think what is so freeing about it is that it is totally and completely up to you. It is up to you to decide what and how you want to write, who you want to write for, and when you want to do it. In writing, the sky is the limit!

3. I agree with both of the comments already posted. My favorite thing about your post is that you connected writing in the way we discuss it is class (academic; for various course assignments, specifically for the writing minor) to the type of expression that is so popular on social media. While this expression of thoughts is obviously considered writing, some people tend to separate writing done formally and writing done informally. In this post, however, you proved how much the two kinds of writing have in common!

4. I really like how you have highlighted the sense of freedom in writing. Something I always seem to forget, that you mention, is that you really can’t be wrong in what/how/where you express yourself. Great point by including a Facebook status! Something I mentioned in my blog post is how I’m excited that writing has come to take on a variety of forms, and not just traditional, research-based essays.

5. Kelli, I admire the honesty and sincerity that shines through your writing. I certainly agree that writing helps to sort out and analyze thoughts and feelings, especially about really deep issues. I know for me I sometimes don’t even know what to think or how to feel about something until I take the time to write about it. There’s just something about writing that helps to externalize the internal, and I’m glad you’ve been able to use this to your advantage.