Having it All

As I look through the writing I’ve produced at the university, I begin to realize that it’s so varied in topic choice to the point that it’s almost erratic. Here are some examples of past titles of my work: Comparing Happiness in the US and the Scandinavian Countries, Prison Overcrowding: A Matter of the Law, The Girl Effect, and Control Issues: European Integration. It looks like there isn’t a consistent theme and it’s hard to trace a visible pattern between all of my essays. What I DID discover, however, is that when I was given the chance to take some liberty on my prompt, I tended to divert to what I was passionate about. Oftentimes, that meant women’s rights, whether that be here in the U.S. or abroad. I believe that a woman’s gender should not ever be the all-encompassing factor for how someone identifies her and that she is so much more than that and should be seen as so.

First it began with a CICS 101 essay: The Girl Effect: how educating women can be the key to guiding a developing economy through the process towards becoming a developed economy

Then there was a Strategy 411 Pecha Kucha presentation: Gender Equality and the Economy: how workforce policies geared towards assisting working mothers can open the economy to new frontiers

Lastly, there’s my final capstone project which will give a voice to seven college-aged women who are so used to being told what THEY should be doing.

In relation to the Writer’s Evolution Essay, I’d like to introduce the fact that it’s quite alright that I’m interested in so many things and that I’ve written about so many topics. Who I am as a writer isn’t defined by my major or what I am, exactly like how I believe a woman isn’t defined by her gender. In the end I believe that a woman CAN have it all, but sometimes to do that she just needs to stick it to the man (no pun intended).

One thought to “Having it All”

1. “I believe that a woman’s gender should not ever be the all-encompassing factor for how someone identifies her and that she is so much more than that and should be seen as so.”

Profound. At the same time, I’m a bit confused. Are you saying that women are intrinsically worse than men? Why does a women have to become like a man to have worth, as if she’s not already good enough?

My guess is that the notion of “having it all” means different things to different women. Some will view “having it all” as being a good wife and mother, others a successful career, and others a combination of both. It certainly doesn’t seem to be a one-size-fits-all definition.

I guess these are questions you will continue to explore in your project. It’ll be interesting to see what your research reveals!