Oyster Knives: Writing at this point

3c26945v

At this point in my life my writing is based around the books I read. I mean this in the most literal and metaphorical way possible (if this doesn’t make sense to some of you, that’s completely understandable; you may ask, “how can something be both literal and metaphorical?”) . To say the least, I read as much as I write and I honestly enjoy both! I love to read because it’s something I’ve enjoyed since a small child (small as in size, 6 to be exact. My mom used to punish me by taking my books away and letting me watch tv instead). I’ve also enjoyed writing as a small child (even smaller in size, 3 to be exact. I used to write letters to my previously incarcerated father; well I would scribble letters until my grandmother dotted sentences for me to trace until about the age of 6). I say these things to describe my process and interest as a writer and reader: the enjoyment of learning ┬áboth subjects still inspire and interest me. They pull me in, teaching me things that I didn’t once know, and allowing me to be the person I am growing to be in these new stages of my life.

Quotation-Zora-Neale-Hurston-man-feelings-Meetville-Quotes-65426

One of my favorite writers, Zora Neale Hurston’s birthday passed a few weeks ago (January 7, 1891; she would’ve been 123 years old this year;-0 ). (You may have seen/read on of her books, Thier Eye’s Were Watching God). And amongst the many things she taught me through her books and plays during the Post-Reconstruction period, she also taught me the importance of appreciating and acknowledging my race as an African American female. Appreciating as in the act of understanding that there is something to appreciate. Acknowledging as in the act of acknowledging the great aspects of my race instead of the tragically depressing aspects that some can think of while being African American. She taught me that while being an African American or colored woman, we can be artistically and creatively expressive through forms of writing, plays, readings, and sassy-ness (something I can relate to completely, *wink wink).

oneITEM-2To say the least, this excites me about my writing at this point in my life. To know that there are amazing African American female writers that I can gain insight from, that I can learn from, and that I can ultimately connect with on levels and topics that took place during pre/post Reconstruction period. These levels take me into realms of poetry, fiction, and self-reflective writing as well. Okay, being honest, I just love looking at Zora’s pictures, imagining I knew her as an author and woman, and I fantasize about the conversation we would have about love, understanding, and oyster knives.

download