The balancing act

I like to be busy. A steady stream of assignments and responsibilities is just grease to my gears where others shut down. I can imagine my peers gasping at this proclamation, but it’s just how I function – I ¬†don’t get things done when I have the time to do them.

This is not at all what I was like in highschool. I skated through my classes, doing fairly well in them, yet never more than what was required. I was more concerned with my field hockey team, or getting ready for states in tennis, or finishing an entire season of Skins (UK, obviously) in as little time as possible. But coming to college changed my perspective on doing my work, and I became busier and busier.

Drowning in things to do – whether it was a research paper for an English class, or a concert review for SHEI Magazine – began to spurr some other strange changes in my persona. For example, suddenly I became a morning person. Most days I get up before eight (sometimes before six when I’ve truly overloaded myself) and start my day at the library or with a run. Then, I proceed to freak out about everything I have to get done that day until I’ve accomplished a sufficient amount to soothe my conscience, and I go to class or return home for a quick dinner, more work, and then sleep.

And still, I keep signing up for more things to do outside of my actual schoolwork. Why, you ask? I couldn’t tell you. Last semester, I signed up to write a weekly column for SHEI Magazine, contributing an additional article every few months for our bi-annual print issue. This semester, I decided to also joing the editorial section of the Daily, while ¬†babysitting once a week in order to regularly fortify my checking account with a whopping $34. I live for the balancing act.

Maybe I do this to myself because I enjoy the thrill of almost falling off the beam, of almost not finishing that assignment, that story on time. Maybe I do it because I’ve realized the importance of what I’m learning and engaging myself in extracurricularly, and how doing lots of things will ultimately benefit me in the long run. Maybe it’s a combination of my enduring perfectionist tendencies – I will not allow myself a late assignment or a dropped commitment – and my curiosity to try new things. Whatever the reason, I like the person it’s turning me into. Driven, motivated, and precise, because I can’t afford to waste any time.

Image: from this blog