#Freakout #RayRay #cutecat

In light of the discussion we just had in class on Monday, I think it’s safe to say that everyone’s getting a bit nervous about points adding up at the end of this semester. We’re more than 2/3 of the way through and I know I’m feeling like I’m a bit behind! I thought it might be a good idea to get together and think about more ways we can get points, and how to do so. If anybody has any ideas on things we can propose, or if you have already proposed something that you think is great, feel free to comment and let us know what it is!

In the meantime, look at this cute picture of a cat in a bowl of marshmallows. Still stressed? You’re welcome.

images

7 thoughts to “#Freakout #RayRay #cutecat”

1. Yeah…. I’m going through all of my assignments that are point producing, and thus far I’ve amounted to a whopping total of 270 points. Still a ways to go… I think annotations are a great way to boost points quickly and painlessly. If you/anyone is having difficulty thinking of items to annotate, a good place to visit would be your own post of the list of referential materials for your project (the list resulting from our conversation about the videogame article). Doing all the listed repeatability of annotations add up to 500 points. Just a thought.

2. I’m in total agreement! Except, I’ve been thinking about the point total since the beginning of the semester. It’s such a fine line that we have to walk…we all want to produce a really good final project, yet we are inherently trained to pay close attention to our grades. For instance, I spent most of my spare time today working on micro-assignments, even though I know I need to really get cracking on my project. I feel like I’m doing decently well on points but I am nowhere near where I need to be (2,000 seems like some magical, unattainable number in my mind right now).

I’ve been doing a lot of peer reviews and process reflections. Not only are they pretty easy to do, but I also feel like they are the most applicable micro-assignments at this stage of the semester. With workshopping and project production heavily under way, both of them are helping me keep track of myself and of everyone in the class.

3. I’ve found that the best way to gain points is by writing peer reviews, completing the author self-interviews, and writing annotated bibliographies.

4. While I agree with everyone else that the sheer amount of points needed for a decent grade seems a tad insurmountable given how much time we have left, I too have found that the author self-interview was a good way to spend a half-hour…and it helped me get further into the right headspace for completing my project. My only question is (and David you might know the answer to this): How do we complete the author self-interview twice? Do we come up with a separate list of questions, or do we just wait a week or some given time interval and re-answer the questions (and then look at what we learned from the completion of both?).

5. Kyla,

May or may not be setting the #CUTECAT picture as my wallpaper on both my laptop and cell phone for the rest of the semester…

Thank you all for the suggestions – I am currently experiencing a major panic attack re: points, project, etc…but I knew this would happen. I think we all did. Project idea for future capstone students – why people spend so much time thinking about the things they have to do, rather than actually doing them? Or why we procrastinate, even after we’ve been reminded time after time again how much work we actually have in store? Woof. And on that note – back to work!

6. I love that picture!!!! So for points I have basically been trying to complete one thing every day. Also, while working on writing assignments for other classes I have been doing process reflections about them. Every time I finish a big writing piece I make sure to do a process reflection. I also make sure to do a Peer Review on every paper my friends send my way to edit. In addition there are those days that I get on the MiW Blog and just start commenting on everything I’ve missed. Like this…….

7. Thanks guys, this was really helpful! And now that we don’t have to worry about repeatability, it’ll be easy to do a lot of peer reviews for projects! I also did the author self interview once but I have no idea how to do it again either. Maybe I”ll just make up my own questions and repeat it and hope that works?