Hello fellow minor in writing students! If you’re like me, you are probably a bit unsure of how to go about creating the perfect website. I’m a bit of a tech nerd who is happy to help guide you through the process… Please return to visit my blog posts that will help walk you through each step of the process. Today’s post, cleverly entitled “Part I,” introduces two different website options to consider: Part II will explain how to sign up for Squarespace!
||Squarespace.com (#1) BEST
- Customizable templates
- Support center (e-mail)
- Mobile availability
- Social media connectivity (Facebook and Twitter)
- Wix learning center
- Wix app market (many of which are free)
- 43 M current users
- Drag and drop editor that sometimes under promises.
- In the free version, there is a Wix ad bar on the bottom
- Less flexibility than other versions
- Very attractive templates
- Nationally recognized (Target, Cisco, and HBO) use the service to some degree.
- It’s not free ($10/month) –UMICH gets 50% off.
- Custom domain
- There’s a developer’s center where you can fully customize it.
- Drag and drop website builder
- Targets portfolio driven (and image based) website
- It has extensive styling options
- You’ll need to use some coding to embed a pdf.
- You can also upload the file to Issuu.
- Some familiarity from Writing 220.
- Very customizable although there is a steeper learning curve.
- Mostly for blogging rather than website creating.
- Dashboard layout and environment
- Many widgets
- Drop down bar is easy
- Simple layouts are easy
- Some themes are specifically for blogs or websites.
|My next video explains how to use Squarespace!